Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oh what a lovely war!

john w.

Jack Hawkins was dubbed throughout, having recently come down with laryngial cancer. Quite interesting piece concerning the making of this Film in his autobiography 'Anything for a Quiet Life', published c.1974.

Richard

Hi,

I enjoyed the film (again, & again etc) had to watch last night as can't find the video ( kids have had it) but i had to keep explaing what was going on to Seb (10yrs old), he is getting older so no longer could he just watch and sing along like he used too.

Mandy

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Ian

Is it historically accurate...?

John

John,

Well I suspect Haig didn't have his HQ on Brighton Pier or any Pier for that matter. I think it was more of a parody on the ever present British class system - now everybody will think I am a communist :lol:

Ian

Ian

Accepting all forms of dramatic licence, at the start of the war the concept of the recruit arrving and going to the front to be part of the Mons retreat seemed to ignore the passage of time....

Just wondered if there were any more potential inconsistencies...

John

Oh! What a Lovely War was originally written for the stage. In the stage version the whole thing was set as an end-of-the-pier concert party entertainment, from start to finish. They went for more realism in the film version. Realism invites comment about the accuracy of the portrayal, both physically and historically. The stage version doesn't have this kind of baggage.

I always enjoy the film, but get to see it on stage if you can.

Tom

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Actually one of the best scenes, IMHO, is the Royal Engineer doing an impression of Charlie Chaplin, if only to remind us who was an icon of the time.

Ian :)