Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify German artillery bayonet?

Tom W.

Looks like the 98/05 Butcher bayonet to me.

Regards.

Tom.

I think you will find that this bayonet is far too long to be a S98/05 'butcher' blade, and it is also much broader than the long and narrow S98 models.

I believe that it is most probably the heavy S98/02 bayonet (see PHOTO ) with the sawback profile which was usually issued to Pioneer troops. The scabbard is also a good match.

There are some other earlier Pioneer models which could be rated as possibilities, but their scabbards usually came with brass mounts which I think would rule them out in this case.

Cheers, S>S

Was there a special German artillery model of bayonet? A short sword?

Hello, Tom - Yes, there was a M-1871 short sword that was issued to artillery troops. It was basically similar to the M-1871 bayonet, with a solid brass handle. The blade length was approximately 17 inches and the entire short sword was approximately 22 inches long. It looks like that may be the blade shown in the photo - too bad we can't see the handle of the weapon in the photo. Regards, Torrey

Both the M1871 short sword and the M1871 sword bayonet came with brass mounted scabbards with a very long frog stud. They differ from the scabbard shown in the OP in this respect.

Here are a couple of photos of the respective scabbards which clearly show the differences.

M1871 short sword shown HERE (scroll down page)

M1871 sword bayonet shown HERE

Cheers, S>S

• 4 years later...

SS is spot-on... Insofar as artillery use is concerned, the S.98/02 (one of the rarer German models) was intended to replace the AS.71, used by the Fussartillerie, but only one unit-marked example seems to have been recorded - '12.A.F.5.204' - but I do not claim that my listings are fully comprehensive!

Trajan

There is no doubt in my mind that the bayonet shown in the photo is an Sg98/05, the standard bayonet for issue to artillery troops starting in 1905 and through the Great War. The 98/05 was issued to the artillery long before it became standard for infantry troops. It simply looks longer than seems standard and looks can be deceptive.

There is no doubt in my mind that the bayonet shown in the photo is an Sg98/05, the standard bayonet for issue to artillery troops starting in 1905 and through the Great War. The 98/05 was issued to the artillery long before it became standard for infantry troops. It simply looks longer than seems standard and looks can be deceptive.

My error - in the sense that (now I have the book to hand) Friedag does indeed list the S.98/05 for Fussartillerie, so you could well be right! :thumbsup: I'll have to get the micrometer out later and calculate from that photograph everything regarding the scabbard length and width from the length of the frog stud and chape...!!! :whistle:

TTFN,

Trajan

Was the short artillery sword still issued during 1914-18?

khaki

Friedag, Fuhrer for 1914, simply says 'Artillerie-Sabel' for Feldartillerie and Fussartillerie, except that officers, etc., have 'Artillerie-Offiziersabel' - no indication as to type.

Trajan

Interesting thanks, must look for some photographs,

khaki

Always remembering, of course, that Friedag is talking about what was official issue for the year 1914... And things changed after August - e.g., short bayonets being issued to cavalry, etc., with carbines...