Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

mixed up medals

speedwobble

As I have been researching the family history I have at last been given, what I was always told were, my Gr Grandfathers medals. Imagine my disappointment to discover that none of them belonged to him. I am now trying to track down the details of the soldiers involved but I intend to keep the group together and have them restored and framed.

The details are as follows:

1914 Star with clasp and Rose - awarded to Gnr A Patterson R.F.A. 76712

I have traced the medal card but no other documentation.

British War Medal-awarded to Pte J.N.D. Reilly Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 104375

No information

Victory Medal awarded to Spr J. White R.E. 57701

No information

This group of medals has been in the family for many years, I can remember plying with them as a child in the 60's and my mum says she can always remember them about the house before that. If anyone could help me shed any light on the recipients of these medals I would be very grateful. BTW would my Gr Grandfather have been awarded the clasp? He was a serving soldier at the outbreak of war but went straight to the Dardanelles rather than France.

Gunner Andrew Patterson entered France on 11 August 1914 with the 2nd BDE RFA. He discharged in July 1918.

Sapper John White was entitled to the pair only.

Apart from that, there is nothing on Ancestry I could Find.

Cheers Andy.

Nearest I can find is 10475 James N O'Reilly

Unfortunately at this time Ancestry won't let me look at the card.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like there are no attestation papers for any of these guys. It's pity because I'd like to find out a bit more about them. I wondered how they came into the possession of the family and a local medal dealer suggested that my Gr grandfather may have sold his originals and bought these as replacements. He reckoned this was pretty common.

James Reilly would fit the bill. Could it be possible that they made a mistake when stamping the medal? Could the 3 be wrong in the 104375? Could the "D" in J.N.D. actually be the "O" of O'Reilly?

My Grandfather had the same trio of WW1 medals, but he was forced to purchase replacements after the originals were stollen in a burglary.

Perhaps a similar incident could have befallen Speedwobble's Great Grandfather's medals.

My grandfather ASC always wore his mutt and jeff when he took me to the Armistice Day parade and service in the 1940s ..... I can well imagine that, if he had been parted from them, he would have spent a few bob to replace them. As it is, I have his named pair, his STs, his cap badge, and his ID disc all framed on my wall. Nobody was going to walk up to an old boy and check he was not a Walter Mitty by reading the edges, and if they had attempted it, he would have dealt with the matter like the gent. he was ..........

Hi,

If his first time he went to a theatre of war was to the Dardanelles, he would not be entitled to the 1914 star and bar, just the 1915 star, plus of course the BWM and Victory.

Thanks Somme.

I thought as much. The Inniskillings were recalled to England and from there set sail for Egypt on the way to the Dardanelles. He didn't serve in France Until after he was evacuated from Gallipoli.

I still intend to hold on to the medals and have them cleaned and framed, however I will include a typed explanation of the medals and their true meanings and place in at th back of the frame. This will save any mix-up for future generations of the family.

I will continue to gather as much information as I can about the original recipients of the medals and by doing so hope to honour their memory and service.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

John White was Ulster Division Royal Engineers. His number belongs to a batch of 57... that were part of the original companies, so would guess he joined up about Sept /Oct1914, when Carson gave the go ahead for the formation of the Ulster Division, surprised he hasn't got 1914-15 star, but could be a reason he was held back, a very small number were.

Worth checking the original medal rolls though.

Majority crossed 4-6th October 1915. My grandfather didn't go over to them until December 1915 so just qualified for his Star. He was stationed at Newark signal school after the others crossed as were a number of other men from the 36th.

No guarentee that John went to the Division though.

Rob