Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bronze Medal For Military Valour

Batech

Hi

I wonder if anyone could tell me where I might get hold of either a Full Size Replica of the "Bronze Medal For Military Valour" or possibly an un- named original.

My Great Grandfather was awarded this medal in March of 1918, only to be killed on the 23rd of April in the raid of Zeebrugge.

Thanks In Advance,

Gary.

Hi,

Just a note - The one on Ebay states it is the 1949+ version. You would want the earlier one.

I believe I saw some listed on the Dixons Medals site a while back, but I am unable to confirm that as their site seems to be having trouble today..or it's just me :-)

Cheers

Hi Gary

What is your Great Grandfather's Full name, rank & if applicable service No. As there are a few "Bronze Medal For Military Valour" from different countries. I have a data base with over 37,000 names of gazetted awards for WW1 & I will look him up to see which one you are after. Foreign awards were issued un named originally, so you should be able to pick one up OK.

Peter

Hi

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

My Great Grandfathers name was "Thomas Eldridge" and his service number was CH\11534, R.M.L.I.

I have a page from the London Gazette Dated 16th March 1918, that shows him as being awarded the medal by the King of Italy.

I don't know if this award would have anything to do with the Messina Earthquake, as He was also awarded the "Messina Commemorative Medal" in July 1912.

Regards,

Gary.

Hi Gary

Look at this page about a third of the way down has the medal you need. As stated they were issued un named & can be picked up at numerous dealers or that bane of us all ebay.

http://www.gwpda.org...medl/italy.html

This award would have had nothing to do with the Messina Earthquake, you need to get a copy of his service papers & try the local newspaper, they may have some extra info.

Would be a very nice group of medals & proudly worn I bet.

Peter

Thanks again for the replys.

I do have his service record, along with attestation papers and a host of other personnel information that I managed to get from the Fleet Air Arm Museum , but nothing relating to the medals awarded.

I have managed to get hold of the "Messina Commerorative Medal", arrived today, (ebay) so very pleased with that, just need to get the bronze medal now.

I would be very grateful if anyone who happens to come across the medal in question, could give me a shout, as I have spent ages trawling the net looking for one for sale but only seem to find information about it.

Regards,

Gary.