Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

178th Tunnelling Coy. RE - 16 casualties 21/12/15

Chris_B

Hi,

I have downloaded the War Diary of 178 Tunnelling Company  Aug 1915 - Apr. 1919, this relates to the death of Llewelyn MORRIS, as mentioned by your Guest on the 18th June 2019.  I am researching Llewelyn's brother Thomas Stanley MORRIS, who disappeared on a Canadian Arctic Expedition in 1914,    I have newspaper cuttings of Thomas's disappearance and death if anyone is interested, also some information on the family.

Page 33/34

21st December 1915 Lieut.PRYOR wounded, gassed.

18 O.R. Killed in Mine explosion.

8 O.R. Wounded, gassed.

8.0 am Enemy exploded 2 large mines in TAMBOUN DUCLOS (F 3a & F 3c Meantle).   They wrecked 30yds of trench & blew in several shafts & galleries.  Men at three faces were buried alive.  There was no artillery bombardment.   Rescue work was carried out but many men were gassed in the process, chiefly infantry, but Lieut. HANIRAN? R.E. & Capt. WALLINGTON, R.W.E (or R.W.F.) did excellent work, also Protomen*.

*https://www.onfife.com/industries-mining-mines-rescue-breathing-apparatus/

The ‘Proto’ breathing apparatus was an incredibly heavy piece of equipment worn by mines rescue workers. It supplied them with clean air to breathe as they searched underground for trapped or missing miners.

I am wondering if anyone can decipher what F 3a & F 3c Meantle means, I probably haven't spelt it correctly, the writing was small and hard to work out at times, bless the Officer, having to write about what was happening, and there were losses every day, so terribly hard for all the men.

Mavis Williams

Mavis

F 3 was the map square in which the Tambour was situated. See this recent thread about the Tambour. The place name is Meaulte, just south of Albert.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/289758-triple-tambour-fricourt/?tab=comments#comment-3007398

Brian

EDIT: This NLS map, although dark, shows the Tambour west of Fricourt in F 3 a and c and the map is headed Meaulte.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464810

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

Thank you so much Brian for the links and the contributors to the Forum re this subject, I hope it's OK to save the photos.   Also for the explanation of my query.  Kind regards, Mavis

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

This is my first post on the Great War Forum, so I apologise in advance for any mistakes made in the posting of this message. I'm afraid I don't have much to offer as of yet in terms of information that would be useful to the members browsing this forum thread, but I do wish to make clear my immense gratitude to those of you who have already posted in it. 

Llewelyn Morris was my great-great-grandfather, born January 1871 in Flintshire, Wales. To my shame, I was totally unaware of his existence until just a few years ago, being made aware of him only after asking my mother if she could tell me more about her family history, and if she knew of any that served in either of the world wars. Although she told me Llewelyn's name and was even able to show me a photograph of him (kindly shared by a relative on social media), the only information that she knew of or believed was that Llewelyn had died during the war, and that his body was not recovered.

Please forgive me for more tedious personal talk, but due to living far away overseas, and having not seen family since being made aware of Llewelyn Morris and his participation in WW1, I was not able to garner more information from relatives that would naturally know more about him until we next all got together, and could discuss the matter. 
I've always been fascinated with history, especially the first world war, so I began to search online for more information about Llewelyn Morris, the unit he served with and the sad circumstances which led to his death.

Thanks to the posters on this forum, I've been able to find out not only the unit he served with, but where he was stationed, the history of that unit, the events leading to his death and the men with him, his name on the war memorial at Thiepval, the date he was killed, links to photographs and maps of the area and even information on his brother Thomas Stanley Morris, who I was not aware of until MotherMave mentioned him in her post above. After checking through family records on Ancestry.com, Thomas Stanley Morris is indeed the younger brother of Llewelyn Morris. I can't imagine how tough it would have been for the family to have lost two brothers within the space of a year, both of them not able to be given a burial at home. 

I cannot stress enough how grateful I am to you all for sharing this information here, doing so through your own free time. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to have found any of this information on two men in the family who I had not known of until so recently, both of whom I am immensely proud of and feel fortunate to be related to. I could not have found all of this information without your efforts, thank you all so much.

I would be happy to share any more information on Llewelyn Morris such as a photograph if anyone is interested, but I wish to ask more senior members of our family first before sharing any more details, as ultimately I don't want to provide anything publicly without them being comfortable first, so it might take some time to ask everyone if they are ok with it. On the other hand, if anyone has more details on Llewelyn Morris, the 178th tunnelling company, or the sad events of 21st December 1915 which led to his death and the brave souls with him I would be ecstatic to receive any information you have. Feel free to message me privately if you are not comfortable sharing the information on a public forum also.

Thanks again so much to all of you that have posted in this thread, it has been immeasurably interesting to read through.

Kind regards and best wishes,
Daniel

Llewelyn's pension ledger card indicates that his widow (Jennie) died on the 8/12/1916

leaving Winnie Morris as the guardian of his son William

512781912_MorrisLlewelyn(102836).jpg.0165c9c9e73b1c5def38f22e7c3badd7.jpg

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
typo

Thank you Ray, That is so helpful.   Adds to his story.

Regards,

Mavis

Thank you Daniel for your kind words, I have replied to your PM, please contact me as I have more information for you.

I have always said what a wonderful Forum this is, many thanks for helping me over the years.

Mavis

Ray, I cannot thank you enough for both such a speedy response and an excellent find! I had not realised just how soon after Llewelyn's death Jennie herself would pass away. Winnie (or Winifred) Morris was my great-grandmother, Llewelyn and Jennie's daughter, born 1895. I cannot imagine losing an uncle, father and mother all in such a short space of time and at such a young age, but I realise quite sadly that this kind of thing would have been all too common for so many families to lose loved ones in 1914-1918.

Thanks again Ray, I'm very grateful for your time and help in sharing the information that you have provided, it means a lot to me. 

On 12/06/2022 at 06:32, DR96 said:

Daniel

You may have already seen the following document

The register of soldiers effects

1481871797_effectsmorris.JPG.b09a20a11e890e36da30cdc2c35ca445.JPG

If I am reading this correctly

His son William received £6.13s.2p followed by a further £1.6s.8p,which was placed in an ordinary savings bank for him, until he attained adulthood  

His daughter Winifred Dorothy (Chapman) received  £6.13s.3p and her brothers share of £6.13s.3p (at the written request of her brother (Sidney L) followed by a second  payment of £1.6s.8p

His son Sidney L received the payment of £1.6s.8p

Regards Ray

27 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

which was placed in an ordinary savings bank for him,

It's the Orphan's Savings Bank, in this context.

Craig

50 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

It's the Orphan's Savings Bank, in this context.

Ar "Orphan's" do you have any furthur info Craig regarding the "Orphan's Savings Bank" 

I assume this was an account run and administated by the Govenment

I am sure a read somewhere on the forum that O.S.B in the effects register stood for Ordinary Savings Bank although I may be mistaken

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
spelling