Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge ID please

Ralphed

Can anyone ID the cap badge for me ?

post-55413-030946500 1288438018.jpg

Thanks. Could be looks very similar.

The 17th London (Poplar and Stepney Rifles)and the 7th Foresters (Robin Hood's) are another two for the melting pot. The laurel wreaths around these two badges reach further to the crown, the badge for the 20th London has a slightly shorter wreath which leaves a larger gap beween the wreath and crown,

Jon

ooops...that's a mistake it should be 19th and not 20th

Surely not 20th London as they were 'Blackheath & Woolwich' and wore a badge based on the Royal West Kents?

Hi Osvaldo,

Most likely 19th Londons, but could also be 7th/8th (Leeds Rifles) Bns. West Yorks or 7th (Robin Hood) Bn Notts and Derby.

Take your pick!!

Robert

Most likely 19th Londons, but could also be 7th/8th (Leeds Rifles) Bns. West Yorks or 7th (Robin Hood) Bn Notts and Derby.

Take your pick!!

Robert

Thanks for all the replies. It was really a question of ruling out one particular regiment, in this case the 10th Londons.

From a picture postcard my daughter picked up in Hay on wye this week there was a man in the ranks that kinda looked like her GG grandfather. By the time i'd scanned it and got a close up i was not sure that it was not him but there were others in the photo that looked familier from an informal shot and at least one black soldier in the pic and we have another pic of her GG grandfather in the Royal Fusiliers and there is a black soldier in that photo as well.

The picture posted is not who she thought was her relative it was just the clearest one,once i'd scanned it.

It did not look like a 10th London cap Badge but i did not know if there was a variation used at different times for different occaisions.

• 8 months later...

If you look at this website there are many cap badges that all look very similar and you could then decide which is the closest match as you may have a better photo.

http://militarybadgecollection.com/2010/11/23/london-regiment-badges.htm?nggpage=3

It could be the 1/17th London

or 19th London

hope this helps

Can anyone ID the cap badge for me ?

I agree with Squirrel that it looks most like the 19th London (St Pancras). There is no evidence of a tablet under the crown and the overall shape and balance between size of wreath and cross and crown leads me to that conclusion.

post-599-0-65768800-1311984892.jpg