Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

unitedsound

Can anyone tell me about military action around 10th December 1915 please.

My subject, James Rainey, landed in France on 6th October 1915 and was KIA on 10th December.

Also is it possible for someone to give me an overview of where he was in the 9 weeks before his death. A few words will do.

TIA

David

Hi there David, I found a link to robert Lindsay Mackay's war diary who served in 11th battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. give it a try might be useful

http://lu.softxs.ch/.../RLM_Diary.html

best reguards

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi Ian

Unfortunately it doesn't start until 1916.

Thanks for checking anyway.

David

Cheers David I did try for you :whistle:

have a good weekend

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me about military action around 10th December 1915 please.

My subject, James Rainey, landed in France on 6th October 1915 and was KIA on 10th December.

Also is it possible for someone to give me an overview of where he was in the 9 weeks before his death. A few words will do.

TIA

David

David,

I can only give you an overview of what 15th Div activities were, there are no specific mentions for 11 Argylls and no mention for the 10 Dec 15.

11 Argylls were a part of 45 Infantry Brigade which was a part of 15th (Scottish ) Division.

On the 3rd Oct the division was moved to the IV Corps reserve to recuperate following the battle of Loos. Between then and the 12th when they moved back into the line they recieved 4000 men in drafts as replacements. Your subject would no doubt be one of them.

Between the 12th and the 19th 45 IB was based around Houchin and Hallicourt and was involved with repair to the comunication trenches with batalions sending 200 - 300 men at a time - so no time for training etc.

The weather broke on the 10th with heavy rain turning the area into a quagmire.

On the 19th the division moved into the front with 45 IB ocupying the Quarries sector.

Life was a continous round of front line duty, support, reserve etc. Brigades ocupied the front line for 12 - 14 days with 6- 8 days at Noeux Les Mines as Div Reserve, where training and reorg could take place.

The Trenches were all very shallow overlooked by the enemy and very badly drained. The division had to work hard to improve the trenches build new comunication trenches and improve the drainage. In adition the dead from the battle of Loos had to be buried and equipment from the battle salveged - all under systematic shelling from the Germans.

Relifs took far longer than normal and could only be done at night. Remember that each Brigade had 4 batalions and rotated them into the front and back to reserve on a regular basis - so each batalion would only ocupy the front line for 4- 7 days.

The Division was moved out starting on the 13th December - 2 days after their move a German mine was exploded under the front it had occupied.

Your subject apears to have been a casualty of routine trench warfare most likely by enemy shelfire.

11 Argylls losses between Aug and Dec 1915 apart from Loos: 3 Officers WIA, 33 OR KIA, 110 OR WIA, 3 OR MIA. No dates given.

Not too many word I hope

James

James

I had almost given up.

Many thanks for the detail which will be put to good use.

David

No problems.

My great uncle was in 6 cammerons also in 15 div hence the intrest .(he was gassed july 17, just prior to ypres)

james

• 8 years later...

Theres quite a grainy photo online of the Officers of the 11th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Its taken at the opening of the third battle of Ypres. Does anyone have a clear copy of this photo. I have interest in Lt J Farquharson KIA in the battle. I have a head and shoulders photo of him but was hopefull that I could id him in the group photo.

thanks for reading this.

grainy photo attached

E18159E3-A745-40F1-BD4B-29F0190CE2D9.jpeg

Edited by nemesis
Add photo

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 05:21, nemesis said:

Theres quite a grainy photo online of the Officers of the 11th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Its taken at the opening of the third battle of Ypres. Does anyone have a clear copy of this photo. I have interest in Lt J Farquharson KIA in the battle. I have a head and shoulders photo of him but was hopefull that I could id him in the group photo.

thanks for reading this.

grainy photo attached

E18159E3-A745-40F1-BD4B-29F0190CE2D9.jpeg

I'd be very interested too. My Great Uncle Captain David Sorley MC is may be in this . He gets several mentions In Robert Lindsay Mackay's war diary (post #2). He had won his MC on 20th May 1917 at Croisilles while a 2nd Lt. with 1st Scottish Rifles, but his final rank on his MIC is Captain with 11th Argylls. Not sure when he transferred to A&SH.

Thanks Derek. I should be able to pick out my man from this one. 

Best regards

max