Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pleasehelp with uniform

jgreen789

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help identify the uniform, regiment or rank of the soldier on the attached photograph. This photograph was discovered with a lot of other photographs in the belongings of a late relative - he is not named or identified in anyway and the only thing I know is that he is a relative but no idea who. It would be helpful if anyone could identify what type of soldier he is - my guess is it's a horse regiment by his dress - this would give me a starting point.

Many thanks,

post-59957-012497300 1288129701.jpg

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help identify the uniform, regiment or rank of the soldier on the attached photograph. This photograph was discovered with a lot of other photographs in the belongings of a late relative - he is not named or identified in anyway and the only thing I know is that he is a relative but no idea who. It would be helpful if anyone could identify what type of soldier he is - my guess is it's a horse regiment by his dress - this would give me a starting point.

Many thanks,

It looks to me as though he might be a driver in the Royal Engineers. Shoulder brasses look like they could be RE to me.

Certainly a mounted role - with crop, spurs etc.

I notice the photographer is Salamons of Bedford who seems to have taken a lot of soldiers portraits both of the Highland Division there in 1914-15. There was an RE unit in Bedford later in the war (I have pictures somewhere).

Chris

Possibly the Bedfordshire Yeomanry? The cap badge in the foto doesn't look to be RA. The Bedford Yeomanry badge looks more likely but I can't make out any detail in your foto. Any chance of a close up? Cheers, Bill

Possibly the Bedfordshire Yeomanry? The cap badge in the foto doesn't look to be RA. The Bedford Yeomanry badge looks more likely but I can't make out any detail in your foto. Any chance of a close up? Cheers, Bill

Do you mean RA Bill, or RE?

isn't the yeomanry badge an eagle? or in eagle form?

Do you mean RA Bill, or RE?

isn't the yeomanry badge an eagle? or in eagle form?

Sorry, somehow I thought you said RA. Must be the late hour. The cap badge in the foto does look like RE. And you're right, the BY is has an eagle as part of its badge, but it looks more like the cap badge in the foto than RA. Not that that's a relevent point to your post. Still, a close up of the cap badge would help to positively identify the chap's unit. Cheers, Bill

PS: I'd better sign off as obviously I'm losing it (if I ever had it to begin with).

Thank you for your replies. I had looked at some photos of Royal Artillery and the uniform looked similar. I have tried to enlarge the badge but I am not sure it is any clearer but I am attaching anyway. We have in our family history a Corporal Kirby who died in action 5th August 1917 and when he died he was a Corporal RFA C Bty 119 Bde. Would this match up to his uniform, although I realise this photo was probably taken before he set of for France.

Many thanks.

Jopost-59957-091195700 1288163452.jpg

Sorry, somehow I thought you said RA. Must be the late hour. The cap badge in the foto does look like RE. And you're right, the BY is has an eagle as part of its badge, but it looks more like the cap badge in the foto than RA. Not that that's a relevent point to your post. Still, a close up of the cap badge would help to positively identify the chap's unit. Cheers, Bill

PS: I'd better sign off as obviously I'm losing it (if I ever had it to begin with).

RA badge is a gun (Cannon). definitely not that shown.

I still remain convinced this is a member of the ROYAL ENGINEERS, close ups of badge reinforce that for me.

Chris

I attach an RE badge, which seems too small in scale for the hat to me. The badge in picture looks significantly larger.

My speculation is King Edwards Horse - King's Colonials, also attached.

post-599-000751100 1288211543.jpg

post-599-007720500 1288211653.jpg

I'd agree with FROGSMILE that the badge is too big for RE, but I don't think it's KEH either; it's too rounded, except in the larger close-up in which the perspective appears to be quite distorted.

I wonder if it could be City of London Yeomanry. Outside chance of transport section of the 7th West Yorks. The shoulder titles do look right for RE, though.

Any chance of a close up of those shoulder-titles?

I concur that the KEH badge is very rectangular looking compared with the photo. CLY looks more likely and fits the bill for that highly polished bandolier. Would fit with a CLY (3 letter) shoulder title perhaps.

post-599-014418500 1288217867.jpg

Well I think I disagree about the badge:

how about this by way of comparison? I would say that (ignoring the modified crown on the cap on my picture)this would seem to exhibit very similar proportions to me (albeit with better detail etc)

post-14525-001160100 1288222832.jpg

This is a detail from a picture which exhibits great similarity in unifrom (yes I know it is pretty generic) and is from a Bedford photographer.

post-14525-074592800 1288223248.jpg

I had always been pretty certain that this was RE.

Chris

Driver in RE or Yeomanry (City of London is a close fit). Definitely not RA. Antony

I had always been pretty certain that this was RE.

Chris

The clue is the S/t - it is 2 letters - probably RE. City of London Y it is not.

Agree with Chris/Max here - first thoughts were RE cap badge, backed up by the short two-letter shoulder title visible.

Fun to try and establish which it is. I agree that the second photo depicts a very similar form of dress, but the cap badge on the first photo still looks out of proportion to my eyes. That said I concede that a 2 letter title is a clincher for RE. Our joint effort cracked it in the end :)

I'd agree with FROGSMILE that the badge is too big for RE, but I don't think it's KEH either; it's too rounded, except in the larger close-up in which the perspective appears to be quite distorted.

I wonder if it could be City of London Yeomanry. Outside chance of transport section of the 7th West Yorks. The shoulder titles do look right for RE, though.

Any chance of a close up of those shoulder-titles?

The soldier came from Yorkshire so may be could be transport section of 7th West Yorks. I am going to try and get some better close ups of the badge and the shoulder titles but may take a day or two! On the original photo the badge looks as though it's either got a cross on it or star shape or could even be a bird shape.

In that case his title might be "MT"?

post-599-074839900 1288400409.jpg

If he were West Yorks then it would have been the West Yorks title and not MT.

I agree, but there are some in this forum who believe that at the latter part of the war unit transport sections were using the title MT. Not convinced myself.

Like 4th Gordons I am happy this is a RE driver. Most defiantly nor Beds Yeomanry or RA or RGA