Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Thomas Linley Southern

shred

I post the following message on behalf of one of the members on the SWARM forums:

Pte 19826 Thomas Linley Southern, Grenadier Guards was discharged from the army as physically unfit in 1917, his condition was stated as VDH[valvular disease of the heart]caused during his service in France in 1917,he died in Salford on 20-1-1919. If his death certificate gives the cause of death as heart disease then he would be entitled to war grave status. Thomas is not listed on the CWGC. He has a pension record under the mis-transcribed name of Thomas Sinley Southern.

I have emailed Terry who has directed me here. Can I ask that the IFCP team apply for his death certificate and, if thought appropriate, submit Thomas' case to the CWGC?

Terry must have been having an "off day" to have directed you here, rather than answering directly or pointing you at the IFCP website.

It is only recently that we've been able to assist with post discharge cases - and even then it is by way of reimbursing someone, rather than applying for the death certificate ourselves. Terry's thread on the subject is here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=152562

In essence, you or the person you refer to needs to apply for the certificate. When you have this, send it and the other supporting information to IFCP through our website contact system. If IFCP agrees to put the case forward, we will refund the cost of the certificate - this is not dependent on the submission being succesful (however, we will have formed a a view about the likely success.

As you say, the death certificate needs to confirm a link to his cause of discharge.

John

John,

I have just received an email from Terry... mea culpa.... I am that busy bouncing between things. When I get time I will get the death certificate ordered and follow the instructions given.

Cheers,

Garry

Do you know where his grave is; I may be able to help