Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Figures on War Memorials

John_Hartley

On hols, last week, I came across the war memorial in Alnwick, Northumbria. It's the first time I've seen a memorial with three figures on it (a soldier, sailor and what I assume to be RAF/RFC). Is this as uncommon as I think it might be?

Of the memorials round my home town of Stockport, I can only think of one that has a single figure, so to see three I am guessing, is a rarity.

post-19-1087220741.jpg

John,

Off the top of my head I can think of only one with more than one figure and that is the War memorial in Guildhall Square, Portsmouth. The only ones I can think of right now with one figure are Tow Law Co. Durham and I think Darlington.

Roger.

John,

Off the top of my head I can think of only one with more than one figure and that is the War memorial in Guildhall Square, Portsmouth. The only ones I can think of right now with one figure are Tow Law Co. Durham and I think Darlington.

Roger.

A number of East Anglian Memorials have lone figures:

March

Mildenhall

Bury St Edmunds{Unusually a Boer War Memorial Very Impressive Bronze Reclining Soldier]

to name but three & start the ball rolling :rolleyes:

Most US memorials have a single figure, many were mass produced.

The Washington County memorial at the courthouse in Springfield Kentucky, oldest functioing one in the state, 1811 I think, has a soldier & a sailor.

Figures were expensive options. Even so, there are many memorials with a single figure. However, memorials with three or more figures are usually confined to the better-funded projects like national memorials (Welsh), regimental memorials (Royal Artillery, Guards, Northumberland Fusiliers, Cameronians) or city memorials (Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield).

Other communities with three-figure memorials include Exeter, Bournemouth, Paisley, Keighley, Port Sunlight, East Brent, Llandaff and Builth Wells.

The Soldier, Sailor & Airman figure theme, as distinct from individuals or groups of soldiers, is included in the memorials at Builth Wells and Canterbury.

Dave

Other communities with three-figure memorials include Exeter, Bournemouth, Paisley, Keighley, Port Sunlight, East Brent, Llandaff and Builth Wells.

The Builth Wells Memorial has four figures. I will post some photos later on today.

The "proper" memorial in Burnley, Lancs (the one in Towneley Park, set in it's own grounds with a flower bed that was once a "reflecting pool", not the "concrete box" that is used every Remembrance/Holocaust/D-day anniversary day in the so-called "Peace garden" in Burnley centre) is another that has a soldier, sailor and airman represented in (2 to 3 times lifesize) statue form. It also has laurel bearing bronze females at the foot reminding me a little of the Vimy memorial.

Dave.

John,

I can’t add to your info re the WWI memorial at Alnwick, except to say that this beautiful little town is rich in memorials.

I believe that the lion topped column hiding behind the trees on the left of your photograph is the ‘Tenantry Column’ erected 1816 be the grateful tenants of the third Duke of Northumberland who had reduced their rents by 25% because of the Napolionic wars.

Inside the castle is a stone plaque carved with a V.C., the words ‘Inkerman, 1854’ and the initials HHMP which refer to the son of the fifth duke who won the award.*

And at Pottersgate a block of gabled cottages bears a panel informing that they are “dedicated to the memory of Henry George Alan, the ninth Duke of Northumberland, 3rd Batt. Grenadier Guards, killed in action in Flanders 21st May 1940, aged 27 years. And to the sons of Alnwick who lost their lives in the second world war 1939-45. Esperance en Dieu”

Alnwick is well worth a visit

Michael D.R.

* Ps: Should also have mentioned that the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Regimental Museum is housed in the castle’s Abbott’s Tower

I can’t add to your info re the WWI memorial at Alnwick

John,

Correction to above; courtesy of the net, I can now add some details re this memorial.

Please see here

Best regards

Michael D.R.

Great pictures. The memorial looks as it it has had a recent restoration. Builth Wells must have raised a substantial sum to create that memorial.

Michael

Thanks for the additonal Alnwick info. Interesting how comparitively little the figures actually cost.

John

My thoughts exactly John,

In view of the cost of the lamp and the tablet(s) I think that may be the cost per figure [£120 for moulds and a further £200 for casting]

but still, it sounds like a good deal, even for those days

Hoping to get up to Alnwick in about six week’s time [previous visit about 8 or 9 years ago] Thanks for the fore-taste

Regards

Michael D.R.

Thanks for the pictures, a great memorial. The munchkin is grim.

Many of you know there is a fine book by Derek Moorman - I think- At The Going Down Of THe Sun about the memorials of UK.

Great pictures. The memorial looks as it it has had a recent restoration. Builth Wells must have raised a substantial sum to create that memorial.

Clive

Thanks.

I have not researched the Builth Wells Memorial yet, but I know that Mid Wales had its own resident Sculptor who created a number of the War Memorials in the local towns and villages. Benjamin Lloyd had trained in London and worked in Edinburgh and London before returning in his later years to his home town of Rhayader approx. 10 miles from Builth.

The Alnwich Memorial is very impressive, I used to pass it very often.

Before the Alnwick was by-passed the Great North Road ( A1) used to pass through the town with a junction by the memorial. It is not quite clear from the photo that the men are in mourning pose for their comrades named on the memorial, heads bowed with rifles reversed.