Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Scottish General Hospital Aberdeen.

AndyMac

My grandfather who served with the 1/7th A&SH was admitted to the 1st Scottish General Hospital at Aberdeen during December 1916.

My questions are: can anybody tell me which hospital this was exactly? Where was it and does it still exsist? I've heard the name of Oldmill Military hospital is this related in any way?

Any help much apreciated.

Thanks

Andy

I believe that it exists as Woodend Hopsital in Craigden, Aberdeen. Oldmill Hospital, formerly a poorshouse and reform school, was incorporated into Woodend. Antony

Andy

The main hospital was spread between:

Oldmill Poor Law Infirmary

The Girls' High School, Albyn Place

Central Higher Grade School

Rosemount School

As time went on there were many smaller affiliated hospitals, both in the City and further out, including Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, and Aberdeen Military Hospital. Oldmill had by far the majority of the beds, with about 1100, while the all the school premises added up to about another five hundred.

Sue

I didn't mean to suggest that the ARI was 'small' - just that it only had a small number of beds set aside for military patients

Edited by Sue Light

Lord, Sue: I hope the girls were out of there :w00t:

My grandfather who served with the 1/7th A&SH was admitted to the 1st Scottish General Hospital at Aberdeen during December 1916.

My questions are: can anybody tell me which hospital this was exactly? Where was it and does it still exsist? I've heard the name of Oldmill Military hospital is this related in any way?

Any help much apreciated.

Thanks

Andy

The other posts have probably told you all you wanted but it might interest you to know that Rosemount School is long gone, Woodend Hospital is about 5 minutes from where I am typing, I can see their clock tower from here. A thriving modern hospital. The Girls school or a descendant is still in Albyn Place under a different name. The other school I have not been able to find. If it exists it will certainly be under a different name and most schools of that vintage are hardly even a memory.

Lord, Sue: I hope the girls were out of there :w00t:

It does seem that girls' schools and colleges were requisitioned by the War Office far more often than boys' schools. Either the girls were more malleable and open to relocation, or the education of boys was considered more important ... :rolleyes:

Sue

Many thanks for everyones replies. Exactly what I was looking for. Whilst I will never really know exactly which part of the hospital he was in, it looks like a fair bet it might have been the Woodend / Oldmill buildings.

Out of interest, having been 'patched up' there, in early 1917 he was sent to Fort Augustus Abbey on the banks of Loch Ness to recuperate- still a bit more research to do...

Regards

Andy

Out of interest, having been 'patched up' there, in early 1917 he was sent to Fort Augustus Abbey on the banks of Loch Ness to recuperate- still a bit more research to do...

What a fantastic place to recuperate - the whole place (St. Benedict's Abbey) now seems to be holiday homes and apartments, so you could really do some on-the-spot research!

Sue