Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Only a Victory Medal

Sepoy

Many years ago, I acquired a Victory Medal named to 10330 Pte C Dinham, Glouc. R and my initial research revealed that he died on 2nd May, 1916 and was buried in the Bristol (Arnos Vale) Cemetery.

With the use of “on line” genealogical sites such as Ancestry and Findmypast, using the 1891 and 1901 census returns, I soon discovered his family and occupation. The recent release on Findmypast of Military Service Records from 1760 to 1913, has, however, led to the discovery of the following unusual military career.

Charles Dinham was born in St Simon’s, Bristol during 1883, the son of Charles and Susan Dinham. The 1901 Census shows Charles as a French Polisher, still living with his parents at 7 Amberly Street, Stapleton Road, Bristol.

Whilst at Pontypridd, Wales, he attested to join the Corps of Lancers on 10th November, 1902. Charles stated that had been a member of the Pembroke Royal Garrison Artillery (Militia) which he had left by purchase. His Regimental number was 28699, and he selected to join the 21st Lancers.

Dinham never made it to the Lancers, as he was transferred to the Royal Regiment of Artillery (RHA and RFA) on 13th November, 1902 joining the 4th Depot, Royal Field Artillery at Newport, Monmouth, the following day.

He went absent on 10th January, 1903 and was apprehended by a Civil Power in Bristol on 13th January, 1903. Dinham was tried by District Court Martial and was sentenced to 14 days imprisonment with hard labour on 22nd January, 1903.

Charles was returned to duty on 5th February, 1903, but he deserted 2 days later.

On 9th December, 1903 he fraudulently enlisted in the Grenadier Guards, but he was discovered and 11192 Guardsman Charles Edward Dinham, Grenadier Guards was tried, convicted, and imprisoned on 18th February, 1904.

Whilst in prison, he was relegated to Gunner, 4th Depot, Royal Field Artillery on 22nd February, 1904. Charles was released from prison and returned to duty on 18th August, 1904.

On 1st November, 1904 Charles was posted to the 118th Battery, Royal Field Artillery, but whilst at Buford, Dorset, he deserted on 26th November, 1904, but rejoined the Battery on 9th December, 1904 and was held awaiting trial. He was convicted of Desertion on 16th December, 1904, and with all previous service being forfeited, Charles was discharged on 29th December, 1904.

Back in Bristol, Dinham re attested to join the Royal Army Medical Corps, numbered 19795 on 29th August, 1905. He claimed to be a member of the 3rd (Militia) Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment and stated that he had not previously served in the Army or Navy, with the exception of the 3rd Gloucesters.

Charles joined the RAMC at Aldershot on 31st August, 1905 but was discharged on 29th November, 1905 as “unfitted for the duties of the Corps”.

On the outbreak of the Great War, he joined the Gloucestershire Regiment, landing in France on 20th January, 1915. Medal rolls show that Dinham saw service with both the 2nd and 9th Battalions.

Charles died on 2nd May, 1916, whilst serving in the 7th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment, and he is commemorated on the Screen Wall at Bristol (Arnos Vale) Cemetery.

His family received the 1914 - 15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal to mark his Great War Service.

It puzzles me as to why Charles enlisted more than once using his own name, or are there still service papers out there marking re-enlistments under assumed names? I cannot find him in the 1911 Census.

Accordingly, if anyone notices a service record giving a description of a Soldier or Sailor with brown eyes and a scar on the right shoulder blade, please let me know.

I hope this example shows that the humblest of Medals can lead to an interesting tale, with plenty of research still to be done.

Sepoy

I wonder if the Guards Museum may have his enlistment papers ? They certainly have them for the Great War Period if not you might try the National Archives.

In SDGW his surname is Denham so perhaps there are records under this spelling. Also a Charles Denham on 1911 census, 29 in Pontypridd, Glamorganshire.

John