Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18 pr HE

18th Battalion

I've seen this 18 pr HE shell, fuze and case for sale and was wondering what is a reasonable price, as these seem to be much rarer than shrapnel shells.

This one is in good condition with some pitting, but the stamped letters are still readable on the shell, and it has a good No.106 fuze. I realise this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions, but I would expect a shrapnel shell in similar condition to sell for, perhaps, £60-£80?

18prHE.jpg

Any suggestions?

Thats in nice nick, I would give 60 quid for it which what I think its worth. Certainly better than most of the lumps of scrap being sold at the moment.

Very nice John, did you buy these or put them together yourself? The HE doesn't look like it's been fired judging by the driving band? The shrapnel shells, where they non-rusted examples, or have you restored them?

I have a good relic condition 18pr shrapnel round.

Any thoughts on the one pictured at the top, and what it might be worth, it's on an auction site, currently at £45.

Very nice John, did you buy these or put them together yourself? The HE doesn't look like it's been fired judging by the driving band? The shrapnel shells, where they non-rusted examples, or have you restored them?

I have a good relic condition 18pr shrapnel round.

Any thoughts on the one pictured at the top, and what it might be worth, it's on an auction site, currently at £45.

I would say £45 was a very good price for this one, but when you add the postage??

I have to pay a minimum of 30-35 euros for a decent one and one that has no pitting can be 60 and upwards. If the fuze is strippable even more. You get what you pay for generally. Shrapnel shells can be quite complex with fuze cup (early versions) brass tubes and all. Many sold are missing key parts. The more complete the more expensive and rightly so.

I agree that £60-£80 is the normal price range in the UK. Beltring is not 'normal' as you have 100's of dealers competing against each other, so some bargains will be found.

John

For those interested, the HE shell sold for €75 (£67) from a seller in France.

I would have liked to buy it, but, because of the weight, it would cost another £40-£50 to ship it to the UK.

For those interested, the HE shell sold for €75 (£67) from a seller in France.

I would have liked to buy it, but, because of the weight, it would cost another £40-£50 to ship it to the UK.

That's the point I was trying to make in the previous post. Any dealer who travels to France or Belgium to buy WW1 ordnance has to bear large transport and accommodation costs to sell stuff like this in the UK. Those costs have to be added to prices like in any business. The alternative is to buy from the continent on an auction site and bear postage costs as well.

If you go to France or Belgium yourself it's often pot luck whether you can find what you want and you have still born the costs. It's often better to try a UK dealer.

John