Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAMP NAMES

charlesmessenger

Has anyone come across really unusual names for military camps during WW1? I personally like the really martial sounding Pease Pottage Camp, Crawley, where the 30th (Works) Bn Middlesex Regiment spent its early months.

Charles M

There is also another camp witha funny name near Poperinge that Tubby Clayton of TOC H fame sayed at for a while "Dingly Dell Camp"

Iain

In Western Australia where all the local recruits were initially sent was Blackboy Hill Camp. (Blackboy is a native Australian plant - now in this PC era this bush is called a Grass plant)

Tom,

Dirty Bucket is a literal translation of the Flemish "vuile seule". The hamlet and pub (now a restaurant ) still exist as such.

Jacky

• 19 years later...

Anthony, welcome to the forum.  It is 2.5km NE of the outskirts of Poperinghe.  Click on the image to enlarge:

image.png.2ff467e13dc359d5767f062980279b16.png

Thank you so much - was this camp used after the 3rd battle of Ypres - I have a blank for my Dad's war diaries

April 1917 he was with the 58th brigade on the Somme and

Oct 1917 he is at Brubant Farm and Cane Post but I cannot find where these might be?

Then he went to Dirty Bucket Camp in West Flanders which I find linked to Ypres Salient

On 08/09/2022 at 20:48, TEW said:

McMaster have a map of this area showing all the camps for July 1918. Dirty Bucket is there in square A.30.

TEW

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A66680/-/collection

Thank you so much - do you happen to have or let me know where I can get the map of the enlarged area with some notes as to what the various lines mean?

The map showing various camps is Sheet 28 NW 1. If you want sheets for 28 NW or just for 28 they are on the same site:

http://lt1.mcmaster.ca/ww1/wrz4mp.php?grid=28

Not so sure you'll find a key to the lines on 28 NW 1 though.

From what I can see the red lines are trenches, railways, light railways. There are some odd lines in A11 central which maybe latrines or drains. 

TEW