Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passengers/cargo ship SS Porto 1918

delbarre

Hello,

In 1916, the german passengers/cargo ship "Prinz Heinrich" was seized by the Portuguese Gouvernement and renamed "SS Porto". Thereafter, SS Porto was chartered to the British Gouvernement under management of the Hudson's Bay company. She apparently sailed under Portuguese flag. SS Porto has made several trips between Britain and North Russia. I am wondering whether she was a regular liner to Murmansk or she was only sailing on request.

Any information concerning SS Porto (dates, ports of call, passengers, diaries, ...), especially between january and june 1918, would be appreciated.

I thank you in advance

Best regards

Fokad

Fokad

I took a look in the BT series from the National Archives Catalogue:

BT26 (passengers arriving UK),

BT27 (passengers leaving UK), and,

BT32 (Register of Passenger Lists)

and there were no hits on a ship of that name carrying passengers.

You might lik,e to browse those sections yourself and use whatever alternative info you have in a more detailed look.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thank you for your search.

It is not easy for me to directly explore the National Archives as I am living in France.

From different sources (including National Archives) I know that SS Porto has left Murmansk on april 1st 1918 with 10 soldiers of a french artillery regiment and was back to Murmansk on may 29th with 400 Royal Marines to reinforce the allies forces in North Russia. She has also repatriated refugees from Russia to Newcastle in april 1918.

The situation may be complicated as SS Porto has been chartered to the British Gouvernement and sub-let to the French Gouvernement. She was managed by the Hudson's Bay Company but apparently sailed under Portuguese flag with a portuguese naval officer aboard. The only solution might be to find her log book.

Best regards

Fokad

• 1 year later...
Guest jambeau

Any information concerning SS Porto (dates, ports of call, passengers, diaries, ...), especially between january and june 1918, would be appreciated.

Fokad

Hello,

If you are interested about the steamer "Porto" I found the log of my father who was repatriated on this boat with the french military mission of commander Berger between Mourmansk and New Castel in April 1918. (between 1-8) but it is in french (3 sheets)

Can you translate ?

I can send it as an attachment in a Word file

JBO45

• 2 months later...

Hello JBO45,

I am indeed interested by the log of your father. Now, I know that my great father was repatriated to Murmansk on SS Porto sailing from Newcastle on april 10th, 1918.

Was your father with the "mission Berthelot" returning from Romania?

Fokad

• 2 years later...

Hi. I have just found out today that my Great Grandfather was repatriated from Holland on the SS Porto. The date it arrived back to Hull was22nd November 1918. He had been a POW.

• 2 years later...
On 22 August 2014 at 15:40, lynneb said:

Hi. I have just found out today that my Great Grandfather was repatriated from Holland on the SS Porto. The date it arrived back to Hull was22nd November 1918. He had been a POW.

I also had my grandfather on this ship. Did you find out anything on this ship?

• 7 months later...

JBO 45: je suis très intéressé par le log de votre père!. Le grand père de mon épouse, Nicolas Petroff, engagé volontaire à Moscou, accompagnait ce groupe d'avril 1918 pour rejoindre la légion étrangère avec laquelle il a fini la guerre. Ce serait passionnant d'en savoir plus. Michel

On 24/10/2010 at 13:45, delbarre said:

Sotonmate,

Thank you for your search.

It is not easy for me to directly explore the National Archives as I am living in France.

From different sources (including National Archives) I know that SS Porto has left Murmansk on april 1st 1918 with 10 soldiers of a french artillery regiment and was back to Murmansk on may 29th with 400 Royal Marines to reinforce the allies forces in North Russia. She has also repatriated refugees from Russia to Newcastle in april 1918.

The situation may be complicated as SS Porto has been chartered to the British Gouvernement and sub-let to the French Gouvernement. She was managed by the Hudson's Bay Company but apparently sailed under Portuguese flag with a portuguese naval officer aboard. The only solution might be to find her log book.

Best regards

Fokad

according to Nicolas Petroff's memoirs, a young russian volunteer who travelled with the french army, he travelled with the "101ème régiment d'artillerie" I am intrested by  any document on this travel. French rapatriates were also travelling on this boat, families leaving russia and revolution.

• 2 years later...

Attached is a document downloaded from the Red Cross site which records the return of POWs from Holland on the S S Porto , arriving  at Hull on 22nd November 2018 .

There are 2 further pages .

Hope this is of interest1261852530_R52244.jpg.42867984b70044e9d67f944145938a15.jpg