Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenade and the EEF.

Brucenaismith

Does anyone know the type of grenades that were issued to the mounted units of the EEF. In particular Light Horse regiments, the regimental war diaries speak of troopers being absent at bombing school etc., but I'm unable to find any details as to the type of bombs (grenades) used or the rate of isse. One would assume this would be similar to British mounted units in the force. Can anyone enlighten me or point me in the right direction?

cheers

Does anyone know the type of grenades that were issued to the mounted units of the EEF. In particular Light Horse regiments, the regimental war diaries speak of troopers being absent at bombing school etc., but I'm unable to find any details as to the type of bombs (grenades) used or the rate of isse. One would assume this would be similar to British mounted units in the force. Can anyone enlighten me or point me in the right direction?

cheers

If you can give dates that would help. Grenades evolved continually during the war.

John

Ok , thanks John,

Basically from their return to Eygpt in 1916 thru until the end of the war. A bit of a window I know, but its a hole I've been trying to fill for ages.

I doubt if bombing schools changed their training courses for different units and the mounted units would probably have gone through the standard trainging with hand and rifle grenades.

The main grenade by 1916 was of course the Mills No 5 and by September / October 1916 the Mills No 23 was the most common rifle grenade. However, other grenades were still in use. Between 1916 and 1918 the No 24, and No 35 Rifle grenades were common, with the No 20 less so. There is also a good chance they were trained with the No27, No 34 and possibly the No 28 gas grenade. Training leaflets from the time show that they were also be given some familiarisation with German Grenades of the period too.

From late 1917 the No 23MkIII and No 36 grenades would have been trained in parrallel to the Mills No 5 and No 23.

These were the 'mainstream' grenades used.

There are others such as the No 44 and the rarer No39 that also could have been demonstrated.

The following link may help if you are unfamiliar with the numbers listed above.

http://www.paul-spence1964.com/

John