Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

42nd (East Lancs) Machine Gun Corps

andy17191

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to trace my great uncle's unit during the final months of the war, and wondered if anyone could help me with the 42nd mgc war diary? I have a copy of the 42nd divisional history, which is very helpful, but I'm hoping to find some more detail if possible.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I haven't got a copy of the War Diary but I have started a page on the Vickers MG site regarding No. 42 Bn. It may be of interest.

Go to: www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk

Then: 'British Service'

Then: 'Army'

Then: 'Machine Gun Corps'

Then: 'Infantry of the Line'

Then: '42nd' (under Battalions)

I have some papers relating to No. 42 Bn that came with the unit flag I have. If you post your Uncle's name, I'll see if there is any mention.

Regards

Richard

Hello Richard,

Thanks very much for your help, I'll have a good look at your website......looks great!

My great uncle's name was Chris Watkiss, and he was an armourer sergeant, (army ordnance corps) attached to 42nd MGC

(Fingers crossed, then!)

By the way, his picture is my avatar.

Best wishes

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

I haven't got a copy of the War Diary but I have started a page on the Vickers MG site regarding No. 42 Bn. It may be of interest.

I have some papers relating to No. 42 Bn that came with the unit flag I have. If you post your Uncle's name, I'll see if there is any mention.

Regards

Richard

• 5 months later...

Hi Andy,

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

I just checked out your website, it's great! You have some very interesting information on there. Could you please check your papers to see if there is any mention of my relative Christopher Connolly? he died of wounds on 24th October 1918, he was a Private in the 42nd MGC. I'm asuming from your website that he would have been injured during the battle of the Selle, am I correct?

thanks

Katie Scarlett

Hi Katie,

Many thanks for the kind comments about the website. From the information I've got to hand at the moment, I can't give you any more information I'm afraid. I'll keep a note of the name and if I notice anything, I'll reply on here.

Regards

Richard

Hi Katie,

Many thanks for the kind comments about the website. From the information I've got to hand at the moment, I can't give you any more information I'm afraid. I'll keep a note of the name and if I notice anything, I'll reply on here.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard :)