Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment

johndavidswarbrick

I was looking in the war diary of the 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment [WO 95/1621] hoping to find more details about a man I am researching. I did find a snippet, but not very much, however I also found a number of M.M. citations for various other men - all but one relating to the attack on the Hindenburg Line 20th November 1917. I am aware that such citations rarely surface, so I thought I should post them here in the hope that they will be of interest to someone out there.

MILITARY MEDAL awarded to 9264 Pte. Joseph Lacey. Auth CRO 1656 25/10/16

Pte. Lacey was recommended by the Commanding Officer as follows:

Pte. J. LACEY

This soldier throughout the campaign has set a splendid example of gallantry and devotion to duty on several occasions. He has served with the Regimental Transport of the Battalion since September 1914 and has always done good work in getting his horses and wagon through hostile barrages. Near LOOS on the night 28/29 April 1917 this soldier showed great gallantry in rendering help to the Regimental Transport sgteant who was severely wounded. After passing through a heavy barrage, Pte. Lacey learned that the Regimental Transport sergeant was wounded; he immediately returned through heavy fire and rendered him assistance. His conduct under fire has on many occasions been exemplary.

MILTARY MEDAL awarded to 19149 Pte. GEORGE HAYES Authority III Corps number HH 6/4/17 d. 12/12/17

Recommended as follows:

For conspicuous gallantry in the attack on the HINDENBURG LINE on 20 November 1917. This soldier with No. 9700 Pte. T. PALMER was the first man in the enemy trench. He encountered a hostile M.G. coming into action and with Pte. PALMER immediately attacked the enemy. He shot and bayoneted two of the enemy near this gun and afterwards did conspicuous good work in clearing dugouts and killing or capturing the occupants. He set a splendid example of offensive spirit to all of the men of his platoon.

MILITARY MEDAL awarded to 5667 L/Sgt WILLIAM HARRIS Authority III Corps No. HR 6/4/17 d. 12/12/17

[amended to BAR to MILITARY MEDAL 6th Division R.O. d. 26/12/17]

Recommended as follows:

This NCO showed great dash and initiative in clearing the right section of UNSEEN SUPPORT TRENCH in the attack on the HINDENBURG LINE on 20 November 1917. After clearing the trench of the enemy, this NCO personally took forward, well in advance of the line, a Lewis Gun and snipers as battle outposts and inflicted losses on the retiring enemy. Throughout the operation L/Sgt. HARRIS displayed the utmost gallantry and by his example inspired his men with the spirit & dash required.

MILITARY MEDAL awarded to 10419 L/Sgt ARTHUR FOSTER Authority III Corps no. HR 6/4/17 d. 12/12/17

Recommended as follows:

This NCO displayed marked coolness and ability in action in the attack on the HINDENBURG LINE on 20/11/17. When all the officers and sergeants of his Coy. had become casualties this NCO by his coolness under rifle, M.G. and artillery fire was of the greatest assistance to his CSM who had taken over command of the Coy. L/Sgt FOSTER showed utter disregard of danger and moved among the men encouraging them in the assault. He greatly assisted the work of consolidation and set a splendid example to the men of his Coy.

MILITARY MEDAL awarded to 9700 Pte THOMAS PALMER Authority III Corps no. HR 6/4/17 d. 12/12/17

Recommended as follows:

For gallantry and initiative in the attack on the HINDENBURG LINE on 20 November 1917. This soldier with 19149 Pte. GEORGE HAYES worked up a C.T. and cleared UNSEEN SUPPORT TRENCH on the left of the Battalion. He encountered a hostile M.G. just getting into action and with Pte HAYES immediately attacked the crew. Pte PALMER killed three of the enemy and captured the M.G. Throughout the operation Pte PALMER showed courage and initiative of a very high order and set a splendid example to other men.

BAR to MILITARY MEDAL awarded to 16352 Sgt HARRY ALLWAY Authority III Corps no. HR 6/4/17 d. 12/12/17

Recommended as follows:

For conspicuous gallantry and good service in the attack on the HIDENBURG LINE on 20 November 1917. This NCO, acting as CSM, showed utter disregard of danger and great determination throughout the operation. Crossing No Man's Land under rifle, M.G. and artillery fire he was of the greatest assistance to his Company Commander in encouraging the men, By his dash and personal example he did much to ensure the success of the assault.

MILITARY MEDAL awarded to 241866 Pte FRANK HALL Authority III Corps no. HR 6/4/17 d. 12/12/17

Recommended as follows:

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in the attack on the HINDENBURG LINE on 20 November 1917. this soldier, who is a trained Lewis Gunner, on hearing that the L.G. Section of another platoon had become casualties, crossing No Man's Land on his own initiative took the gun and with one other soldier rendered great help and supporting fire. He continued doing exemplary good work with this gun throughout the action and pushed from the final objective in order to cover the advance of troops following up the initial assault.

And, just for good measure:

MILITARY CROSS awarded to 2/Lieut ARTHUR BERTRAM ENTWISTLE Authority III Corps HR 416/450/17 d. 24/12/17

Recommended as follows:

In the attack on the HINDENBURG LINE on 20 November 1917 this officer throughout the whole operation displayed great coolness and resource. He was among the first into both objectives and with three men cleared a considerable portion of the 2nd Objective of the enemy. He reorganised his platoon very quickly and supervised consolidation. This officer's dash and general good service did much towards the success of his Company in the operations.

DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL awarded to 7869 C.S.M. JOHN CARTER

Authority III Corps HR 416/450/17 d. 24/12/17

Recommended as follows:

For conspicuous gallantry and leadership on 20 November 1917. At the start of the assault on the front system of the HINDENBURG LINE all the officers of this W.O's Company became casualties. CSM Carter immediately took command and led the Coy. to its final objective. He also shot two of the crew of a heavy trench mortar who were about to open fire on the rear waves of infantry. Throughout the operation this Warrant Officer showed the greatest gallantry and excellent courage, and the example to all his men was of the greatest value in the attack.

Just as an addition, this war diary for 1917 was remarkably detailed in naming people. Each month's return started with the names of the officers commanding each company and at one point all the winners in the sports day held behind the lines were listed.

Hope that has helped someone's research,

Dave Swarbrick

• 7 months later...
Guest Abrahad

Wow! This is a amazing detailed post! My Great Grandfather was Arthur Bertram Entwistle... My father ask me if I could research his Military Cross Award and I had no idea that this much info was available. I am compiling as much information as I can for ABE's daughter (my grandmother), as little was known about the exact action. After ABE returned from war he never talked about his actions... For a while we had the bayonet he used at home, but I think it was thrown away many years ago! I am now the pround safekeeper of the Military Cross... ABE was also awarded an OBE in about 1948 too... He was injured later in the 1st World War in a Mustard Gas attack and had to go in the Reserves for the 2nd World War. I cannot thank you enough for posting the additional information about my Great Grandfather.... I would like to learn more about getting a look at the War Diaries... If you see this reply, please get in touch...