Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map for Nov 1918

Intrados

Hi, I am hoping someone can tell me the place my grandad was injured by gas early Nov in location U6d s6 or V14.d.3.7 SCHELDT

2/17 th London rgt. had just relieved 2/16th london rgt. in front line .Thanks for any info, will help to end a long search!

U6d = immediately south east of Moen

V14d = one mile due east of Bossuyt

Both locations are S.E. of Kortrijk (map sheet 29).

Well done Egbert, is this about right?.....from Google Earth, using your map as a guide...

regards

Tom

post-5284-047193200 1287505761.jpg

U6d = immediately south east of Moen

V14d = one mile due east of Bossuyt

Both locations are S.E. of Kortrijk (map sheet 29).

Hi thanks for the reply. Is this map part of your collection and if so can I get it from you ? Trev

Well done Egbert, is this about right?.....from Google Earth, using your map as a guide...

regards

Tom

post-5284-047193200 1287505761.jpg

Thats great ! thanks for your input much appreciated .Trev

Is this map part of your collection and if so can I get it from you ?

I do have a version of Sheet 29, but its a slightly 'oddball' one as it's been gridded for French Army use (even odder is that the grid resembles the British system more than it does the French!!!). I could supply you with a copy of the entire sheet as it would show both places in relation to Courtrai and the surrounding area, etc, but you could always find it on the McMaster map website (where, I think, Egbert's example is from?:rolleyes:). Unfortunately, you'll only get to see the map in small sections on that site, so, if you're wanting the whole sheet, send me an email (not a PM...it usually takes me days top open them!!!:whistle:)

Dave

.....find it on the McMaster map website (where, I think, Egbert's example is from?:rolleyes

Dave

Correct. And I checked for corresponding aerials, but this location is not documented on McMaster

• 5 months later...

Hi, I am hoping someone can tell me the place my grandad was injured by gas early Nov in location U6d s6 or V14.d.3.7 SCHELDT

2/17 th London rgt. had just relieved 2/16th london rgt. in front line .Thanks for any info, will help to end a long search!

hello Intrados,

I am making a study about the last days in WWI on the front between Oudenaarde and the Tournai area ( Second and Fifth Armies) I see your grandad was one of the casualties there. I was wondering if you have the War diaries or Regimental histories of the 2/16 and/or 2/17th Bns London regiment. I'm interested in 8/9/10 and 11 November 1918. The info would help me a lot, I saw 148th Bns ( without the german Regimenter ) were involved.

Kind regards and ready to reciprocate...... maybe a pic of the area?

Jef