Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remebrance meeting/service october '04 first Ypres

bkristof

Hi,

our living history asscoiation SRD is planning a small living history / remembrance service in october to remember the Firts Battle of Ypres.

We are still brainstorming but we have the general idea.

Is there any intrest in the UK, Elsewhere?

Any suggestions?

Who is interested to come?

Maybe we can arrange billets for you.

A few living history groups already responded positive. But we like to see other people too. Certainly on the remembrance (Gheluveld, Zantvoorde,... )

cheers and thanks for the response,

kristof

What are the dates Kristof as I am interested.

John

it should be at the end of october the 23 - 24 or 30- 31

we are still in a begin planning

I am very interested in the weekend of 23/24th. That is the weekend of my school battlefields tour. It is our tenth anniversary battlefields tour and we are bringing 60 instead of the usual 40 pupils, many of whom are 'veterans' who have been on up to 5 tours each. One of the themes of this year's tour is First Ypres. I have been trying to arrange for someone to play the 'Burning Mill at Messines' at the London Scottish Memorial, for example. On the Sunday night we are dedicating a plaque at St George's Church to the Bury Grammar School Boys who died in the Great War (over 20 in the Ypres Salient). We'd love to take part.

Kristof,

If the 'Battle for Ghelvuld' (Oct 30th - Nov2nd?) had not been so near to 11th November I would have come but cannot do both, I will be there in spirit though.

Thank you for the invitation,

Mandy

• 3 weeks later...

Ah well, Hone's First Law of Historical Plaques and Memorials states that they are either in the wrong place, mis-named or both. I'm afraid that whether the mill was actually in Wijtschate or not, Pipe Major John Spoore still called his great pipe tune 'The Burning Mill at Messines'!

Kristof

By real coincidence, I was talking to my wife last night about me going to Ieper in late October/ early November, really to get a better 'feel' for the area (I have had one poor guided visit there and one cycling visit which left me very sore!)

Please count me in for the moment. In September/early October, I have a visit to the Somme, then a wedding and then to Croatia for 2 weeks so if I survive that lot I should be OK for Ieper at the end of October!

Best wishes

Martin

The problem with the London Scottish is that their battlefield was only in Wytschaete not in Messines... There are many mistakes... They never defended Messines...