Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sidcot suit

Skipman

A friend of mine has acquired three Sidcot suits. He's pretty sure at least one is ww1 era. He is ' in the sticks ' ( Western isles ) and has access to a Library computer once a week, ( his time a bit limited ) He was wondering if anyone knew of a good website, that has photographs, diagrams etc, to help him identify the suits he has.

I will get photographs of these at some point, and post them.

Cheers Mike

A friend of mine has acquired three Sidcot suits. He's pretty sure at least one is ww1 era. He is ' in the sticks ' ( Western isles ) and has access to a Library computer once a week, ( his time a bit limited ) He was wondering if anyone knew of a good website, that has photographs, diagrams etc, to help him identify the suits he has.

Cheers Mike

THIS SITE IS ABOUT THE BEST THERE IS FOR ALL THINGS "FLYING KIT" .........JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING IS ON HERE !

ALAN

www.alliedflightgear.com

Thanks alan. I'm sure that is true. What I am is looking for is a site where someone, with limited time, and computer skills, can easily find photos and diagrams of Sidcot suits. I will have a have a search, and see if I can give him url's to some useful threads.

Cheers Mike

Herewith an early 1918 airship crew with a variety of Sidcots (apologies to RAF Hendon).

SidcotSuit.jpg

One nugget buried in that history of the Sidcot above (taken from the Osprey Royal Air Forces 1914-1918) is that the classic Great War Sidcot was made by Robinson & Cleaver. There were other manufacturers for sure, but they're almost the 'generic' for them. And an R&C label with an un-numbered London postcode (i.e London W, rather than London W1) would be a gilt-edged indicator.

Cheers,

GT.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the following searching the web for something else:

http://www.oldnautibits.com/assets/images/aeronautical/images/PC51.jpg

RFC/RAF 1st Pattern Sidcot Suit - This all in one flying suit was introduced into RAF service towards the end of WWI and served in modified forms throughout the inter-war years and WWII. This scarce example is in the totally original condition collectors dream of, but rarely find. The quilted fireproof fabric is in excellent condition with only minor stains and service wear. The leg pockets are correctly fur lined and all button closures are intact. Inside the synthetic fur lining is also excellent. No label, but the inner flap is stamped 26 WD P and there is a broad arrow military property mark. This suit is a good display size and deserves to be in a museum - which is the only place we have seen one before!

http://postimage.org/image/e4dt28g4/

6Y9gJ.jpg

If your friends Sidcot doesn't have the exposed buttons across the chest and at the cuff and legs it looks like it'll probably be post-war. I hope he's been lucky!

Thanks Andrew, I will let you know. I have given him directions to this thread, so hopefully he will see it next time he is near his local Library.

Cheers Mike

For interest, attached is a photo of my great uncle from early 1918, kitted up and ready to go in his Fe2b. It shows the jacket, gloves and helmet (unfortunately no Sidcot).

post-11367-099453100 1288160595.jpg

• 1 month later...