Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd KOSB

unitedsound

Can anyone please tell me where 2KOSB were on 4th October 1917.

TIA

David

4th Oct 1917 was the Battle of Broodseinde, with 2nd KOSB between two streams, the Reutelbeek and Scherriabeek, and just in front (i.e. west) of the grounds of Polderhoek Chateau. The 1st Royal West Kents were on their right, about 500 yards in front of Gheluvelt. Regimental History states 2nd KOSB lost 11 officers and 438 Other Ranks (killed, missing and wounded).

Hope that helps,

Stuart

Stuart

Thanks very much for your detail which I have now identified via one of Croonaeert's cd maps and Google Earth.

cheers

David

• 2 months later...

stuart

Sorry to intervene in someone else's thread; but do you have any further entries for 2/KOSB up till 27.10.17- I am researching Pte Muir Halliday Robinson who was posted to the Scottish Command Labour Corps Coy

on 28.10 17-he was reduced to the ranks on 7.4.17 for drunkeness but soldiered on so far as I am aware, to the date of his posting to the LC

cunliffe

• 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 07/03/2017 at 19:35, Guest Fordy48 said:

I am new to this site and researching my great grandfather Fredrick Boddy who was in the 2nd ksob. He died on the 28th October in the Remy Farm clearing station ran by the Canadians. He arrived there on the evening of the 27th so I would think he would have received his fatel wounds before that say around the 26th. Can anyone help find out where he was wounded. your div diary sounds intresting?

The war diary for the battalion can be downloaded from the National Archives at https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352244 .  It is on Ancestry at:https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_1552_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_1552_0-00476

In the action on 25-27 October 1917, 2 KOSB were initially in reserve in positions around Veldhoek and Stirling Castle (can be seen on the map/image at the link below) to attacks to be made by other battalions.  The front line is marked in blue.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.8383&lon=2.9727&layers=101464912&right=BingHyb (look in squares 13 and 15 at the top.

At different times during the period the companies were ordered forward to assist their comrades in the other battalions, the situation becoming somewhat confused as companies were scattered.  The fighting went on during 25 and 26 Oct.  On 27 Oct the diary records that the companies reorganised as far as possible during a lull, allowing for the evacuation of wounded from the front line.  The immediate count of casualties after this action was 14 killed, 90 wounded, 7 missing and 6 wounded remaining at duty.

Max