Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Use of 1903 SMLE Bayonets during the Great War

Simon127

Well I've had a look again and these are my conclusions:

I don't believe that the blade has been blued. I wrapped the blade in kitchen roll and applied a bit of vinegar and left it to see if the bluing came off. Although a dark substance did come off I am satisfied that this is some of the patina and that this example has not been blued. The blade now looks cleaner but still has a dark, now more brownish patina. The blade is not pretty and is bordering on what some collectors would regard as 'semi relic'. It has suffered corrosion most likely through having been wet in its leather scabbard and left (it has the general feel of something that's been lying in a shed or a cellar). The lower half of the scabbard stitching is split which I suppose would further suggests this. The scabbard however is on the whole pretty good. I have never ceased to be amazed by the durability of leather (I have a German Ammo pouch found buried in Mametz Wood which is still incredibly strong and with a clear maker's name and date).

I have rechecked the pommel stamping which still looks like what I first suggested. I suppose the '1' next to the 'R' could be an L but it is so similar to the '1' featured in '21'. I will try to get a picture to post. Oh and the letters of ER are visible in the right light.

S

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps,

I have recently been able to acquire a rare example of a British 1903 pattern SMLE bayonet. As these are now considered rare I was chuffed to be able to pick this one up for £50 even though the condition of the blade leaves something to be desired! Most seem to be selling for £150 - £200 nowadays.

It's got me wondering just how much use these bayonets saw during the Great War. As the 1903 was replaced prior to the war by the 1907 (as the 1903 was considered not to have a long enough blade) I am curious how much service these saw. I understand that the Indian army supposedly 'preferred' this short-bladed pattern but wondered who else used this blade and for how long during the war. I know that the 1888 Lee Metford/ CLLE rifle and bayonet was used for some time despite officialy having been superseded by the SMLE.

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen any period photographic evidence of a 1903 bayonet in use and have never come across one in a museum, even those displaying battlefield relics. I have however seen numerous 1888 bayonets, namely on my trip to Gallipoli. Any info would be most welcome as always.

Incidentaly, does anyone know what rifles the 7th Battalion, PWO West Yorkshire Regiment (Leeds Rifles) would be using in mid 1915? I am interested to know what my great grandfather was blasting away with during the Battle of Festubert.

TIA,

Simon

Hi Simon

Just some additional info on the P1888 & 1903, the date or re-issue date is on the opposite side on the ricasso of the inspection marks.

I have attached some pdf pictures of my collection for your perusal, the examples are as follows.

P1888 Mark I: with 3 rivets the oil hole between the 2 top rivets.

P1888 Mark I type II: with the oil hole in the grip above the top rivet.

P1888 Mark II: with the oil hole in the pommel

P1903: the same as the P1888 except the pommel has been changed for the SMLE Rifle

Regards,

Ed

bayonets 011.pdf

bayonets 014.pdf

• 5 months later...

PS. Quite a lot of P1903's have been coming out of Afghanistan in recent times but usually found much the worse for wear. Mostly they've really taken a beating.

Cheers, S>S

Hi again SS. Just saw this post so it helps explain my other query on bayonets to be found in Turkey. So my SMLE P1903 dated 1904 with an indian frog and scabbard and frog marked 1 5 HANTS quite probably/possibly came from Afghanistan!

Trajan