Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Shells

johnnie

I was wondering if any members might be able to help me. I have been going through and cleaning some bits and bobs I have had some time and was trying to work out/confirm what some of them were.

The photo below shows three 18-pounder shells with one larger item. I had wondered if the larger itme might be a 4.5-inch howitzer shell (it seems to be almost double the size of the 18-pounder) but I wasn't sure. Do any members have any idea what it is?

I was also wondering what was the best way to clean these items. In the past I have used a wire brush and then left them, but I noticed some people on the forum seem to pain them to protect the metal. If I am to paint them will a wire brush clean be enough or should I dip them in cleaner (again I notice some people use patio/brick acid) first?

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

post-11843-058273000 1286726037.jpg

Jonnie

The simplest way to clean a shell is to give it a good soak to loosen any mud that may cling to the body. Then clean it using a wire brush attached to an electric drill. Wash it again and when clean was and dry put in a warm oven to really dry it. Then dust off, paint it and then spay with 'Plasticoat' a matt sealant that will keep the rust at bay.

Most recovered shells are pitted and some people use car body filler to fill the holes, and results can be very good, but nothing like a good shell would have looked straight from the factory.

John

18-pr was about 84 mm calbre, 4.5 inch = 114 mm, diameter dimensions should be measured between the grooves in the driving band (where corrosion is next to zero). However, the larger one is about 50% greater calibre than the smaller one, so it could be 4.5 in or 60-pr (127 mm). Of course it could also be non-British. Driving band shape can also help determine what it is (a normal artillery intelligence technique) but I don't have any reference material for comparison.

Many thanks for the replies. I'll try and post some photos when I have them sorted. I'll also try and measure the larger shell to see if it is possible to work out what type it is.

Johnnie

At a rough guess I would say a six inch, can you count the groves if it has 24 as I said it will most likely 6 inch.

John

6 inch = 152 mm

when I measure the shell width on screen (extreme left one to compare with the large one on right and so same perspective) I get 5.9 cm and 8.7 cm, so the proportional calibre, based on 84mm 18 pr is about 126mm. For 6 inch I'd need to be measuring 10 cm.

Of course if the smaller ones were 4.5 inch not 18 pr, then the larger would be about 175mm, which is closer to 6 inch but I reckon the margin of my measuring error isn't that big.

I have now managed to measure the shells and have the following rough dimensions:

Small shell 3 1/8" diameter and about 18 groves in the drive band (this shell also fits snugly into an 18lb brass cartridge I have).

Large shell 4 3/4" across and 24 groves.

All dimensions were taken across the base of the shell however I will try and obtain more accurate measurements when I have cleaned them.

From the above dimensions can I assume the larger shell is a 4.5" howitzer or could it be something else?

Johnnie

Getting calibre from a fired shell means measuring the diameter between grooves in the driving band 180 degrees apart, this is because calibre is measured between the lands of the barrel rifling. Shell body is always slightly less than this.

I don't think a 4.5 inch shell can increase in diameter once you've removed surface corrosion, it's actually going do decrease in size due to corrosion, therefore I say there is little doubt that the larger shell is a 60-pr (ie 5 inch). Assuming its British.