Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

acommodation in ypres area

Guest biscuitmonster

Guest biscuitmonster

hi. could anyone give advice as to where i could find a choice of suitable accommodation for a small group of firefighters (7) who wish to visit WW1 battlefields in the Ypres area in October. In addition if anybody has done this trip by train and bicycle could they give details of the ferry route they took and the trains in France/Belgium. I'm having a nightmare on the train front :blink:

sorry if this has been posted in the wrong place, i'm a newbie :D

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

If your firefighters don't mind sharing rooms, you should get them all in at the "Kasteelhof t'Hooge" on the Menin Road at ,surprisingly (!), Hooge. If you want to pay more, the "Ariane" should be able to fit them in. I can't say anything about any other accomodations (apart from the camp-site, but I don't know if this is open in October) as these, along with the "Old Tom" (which I don't think has enough rooms for you) are the only ones I've stayed in (the Kasteelhof being my favourite).

As for trains, I've done this many times. I've usually travelled Dover-Calais, then caught the train in Calais to Lille, Lille to Kortrijk, Kortrijk to Ieper. One time, I went from Hull-Zeebrugge then caught the train Zeebrugge-Brugge, Brugge-Kortrijk, Kortrijk-Ieper.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

The Ariane in Ieper is very agreeable.

If you do a search on Ariane, you'll find lots of comments, but try here for starters:

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...13964&hl=ariane

Gwyn

I was at the Ariane last weekend and stay there on my annual trip to Ieper. It caters for groups but does tend to get booked up so you should try and book well in advance. I normally try to book at least 3-6 months in advance.

There website is at http://www.ariane.be, which should give you an idea of the place, and you can book via the e-mail address listed. A single room last week cost me 80 Euros per night.

It is a five minute walk from the Grote Markt and also close by Ypres Reservoir Cemetery. I like it because its very friendly, clean and comfortable.

Recommended.

Mike S

As well as the above there is also The Shell Hole website here and there is a new B&B that opened too late in the year to be included in the normal tourist information bumf, this is situated between St Georges church and the CWGC area office address below.

The Rum Jar, Elverdingestraat 69, 8900 Ieper, Belgium. 00 32 (0) 473 77 88 06.

Brum

My favourite is the Palace Hotel in Poperinge. 11 rooms, and a long history of looking after groups of firemen. I'm sure you would be very welcome.

Ieperstraat 34, B-8970 Poperinge

Telephone +32 (0)57/ 33 30 93; Fax +32 (0)57/ 33 35 35

e-mail palace.hotel@planetinternet.be

Ask for Beatrijs (Beatrice). Perfect Englaish spoken. Her husband Guy runs the best beer bar in Flanders.

Pop station is next along the line from Ieper, about an 8 minute ride.

Her husband Guy runs the best beer bar in Flanders.

What - you mean he travels from Pop to run Ter Posterie in Ieper??? :P

Dave. :D

If you want to stay in the heart of Ypres I can highly recommend the Old Tom http://www.oldtom.be/eng/mainnav.html which also has secure carparking facilities and also the Regina http://www.hotelregina.be/eng/mainnav.html which is a little more 'plush' but more expensive.

have stayed at both on many occassions and found both have their good and bad points.

I prefer the Tom if I am going for a few days for the parking (and the people there are lovely).

Both are sited on the market place, the Regina opposit the Cloth Hall and the Tom is at the top end of the market place, a short walk from the Menin Gate.

Fleur

I have driven to Ashford and then gone to Brussels by Eurostar and then train to Ieper. Longer journey, distance wise, than going from Lille but fewer changes so possibly quicker overall.

The Belgian railway (SNCB) are in the process of revamping their web site but you can still find train times here.

I too have used B&B Hortensia and can confirm agree with Andy's comments above. In my experience it is quieter than the places in the Market Place but the Lille Gate was closed for roadworks at the time so that might have been a factor.

Have a great trip.

Neil

If you want to stay in the heart of Ypres I can highly recommend the Old Tom which also has secure carparking facilities

Fleur.

Out of curiosity, where's the secure carparking for the Old Tom? Every time I've stayed there, I've ended up having to park on the car-park in the market square (and pay, until 6pm).

Dave.

If you want to stay in the heart of Ypres I can highly recommend the Old Tom  which also has secure carparking facilities

Fleur.

Out of curiosity, where's the secure carparking for the Old Tom? Every time I've stayed there, I've ended up having to park on the car-park in the market square (and pay, until 6pm).

Dave.

When you book your rooms, tell them you want to use the garages.

They are just across the square on Sint Jacobsstraat (I think) and they are about 50 meters or less up that road, in an underground carpark on the right.

You have to ask for the door release button from the Old Tom and it is about 6 euros for the weekend I think.

There is more info about parking on their website.

The garages are very safe and we have left cars packed with goodies there over night very safely.

Fleur

When you book your rooms, tell them you want to use the garages.

They are just across the square on Sint Jacobsstraat (I think) and they are about 50 meters or less up that road, in an underground carpark on the right.

You have to ask for the door release button from the Old Tom and it is about 6 euros for the weekend I think.

There is more info about parking on their website.

The garages are very safe and we have left cars packed with goodies there over night very safely.

Fleur

Cheers for that. Info like that can always come in handy (especially the night before market day after a night on the tiles when I definately don't want to have to get up and move my car in the early morning!!!)

Dave.

But if you just stick a couple of Euros in the meter just before or after 6 it will automatically calculate the time for the next day so you can easily leave the car till noon for example for a pittance :)

Ryan

But if you just stick a couple of Euros in the meter just before or after 6 it will automatically calculate the time for the next day so you can easily leave the car till noon for example for a pittance

Unless it's a special market day, or the fair's in town. (Then you'd get your car towed away!)

Dave (with bitter experience of this very nearly happening to him, and getting a kindly policeman to move it for him (' cause he was still too p****d from the night before to even contemplate driving!!!! :ph34r: ) :D

Then you had all better do your homework before you go! :lol: Any establishment offering accomodation will advise of any special things on the Grote Markt. You can always put it round the corner by St Martins, or there is a small square I sometimes use off Wateringsstraat/Arsenaalstraat - looks like it has a petanque pitch on it now as well. Of course we all know to avoid parking there through to Sat am....or do we ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest biscuitmonster

thankyou all for your replies, they have been most helpfull. we have now made a booking and are eagerly waiting for the time to come.

many thanks

Also good to avoid the 'Dolle Dagen' weekend like I didn't!!!

Still managed it ok but it doesn't make life quite as easy :)

Ryan