Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Uniform?

gricer

This is my first posting to the forum and I hope it's ok to leap straight in with a question?

I've recently been sent the attached photo of my great uncle, George Herbert Richardson. I've been trying to identify the uniform. It's been suggested that it could be Royal Artillery so on that basis I've checked the medal cards and found a George H. Richardson who was a Battery Quartermaster Sergeant in the Royal Field Artillery. I can't find a service record for him so that presumably was lost in WW2.

The insignia is a bit indistinct I'm afraid, but am I on the right track?

Many Thanks

Dave

post-59388-008223200 1286443068.jpg

Great detail in the pic. He wears the three bar chevron with gun above on both sleeves - this is in line with Battery QMS. He has an Artillery cap badge in his soft cap, issued from 1916, and wears breeches. He has what seems to be two, maybe three overseas service stripes (one for each year served overseas - though its actually more complicated than that. And I really like the whistle, which is of the 'thunderer' type I'd always thought were used by NCOs rather than officers. He has the white lanyard of the artillery worn on the left shoulder. Interesting!

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the information. Really interesting and ties in with what I'd thought. He did serve overseas. He's another picture but the rank detail is indistinct

Regards

Dave

post-59388-079814700 1286452825.jpg

OK, so now he's wearing Khaki Drill uniform with a Wolseley Pattern helmet - meaning he's serving anywhere that's hot (Palestine, Egypt, Salonika, etc), P.

Peter's full reply states that the gun badge above the chevrons means BQMS, but is that right? I believe it merely shows the rank of an artillery sergeant, and a BQMS would wear a crown where the gun sits.

D

Artillery Sergeants wore a gun above the chevrons as shown in the first picture - Lance Sergeants just the three chevrons. BQMS (WO11) would have worn a crown on the forearm or later in the war a crown within a wreath on the forearm.

Indeed, thanks for the qualification; I would go along with that. Can you see the same gun over the stripes in the KD photo? I wasn't sure.

Peter

Artillery Sergeants wore a gun above the chevrons as shown in the first picture - Lance Sergeants just the three chevrons. BQMS (WO11) would have worn a crown on the forearm or later in the war a crown within a wreath on the forearm.

Bearing in mind RFA is not my cup of Earl Grey, I looked up BQMS ranking in KR as amended:

BQMS ranked with CSgts of infantry and wore the crown, gun and three chevrons.

This confirmed by Dawnay and D A Campbell.

and artillery LSgts did not exist until the changes of 1920 when existing full corporals RA were redesignated LSgt. Existing Bombardiers then took 2 chevrons.

I think!

Correct - I should have been more punctilious in my look ups!

Thank you so much to all those who have taken the time to look things up and reply. I'm really grateful

Regards

Dave

Off the top of my head I think that date of entry to France (if Richardson 35868) is OK for an artillery Brigade which was later posted to Salonika - maybe 26th Division?

david

David

Thanks for that information. My problem now is that I need to confirm that Richardson 35868 is indeed the person I'm looking for. He appears to be the only George H. Richardson who was a BQMS or Sergeant according my searches of the medal card index. I think I'm in danger straying off topic for this forum so if youcould point me in the right direction I be really grateful.

Regards

Dave

I would think this all looks 'right' - he clearly went overseas and so should be among the medal cards .. and the various additonal details also look 'right' .. and if you know he was a wartime enlistment that number looks OK for a 1914 enlistment, leaving time to be made up Corporal by the time he went to France (as shown on the medal card) .. the first photo must be 1918 or later when a Sgt and after overseas chevrons were issued (Feb 1918). the numbers of RFA serjeants named Richardson would not be that many .. so I think the odds are very good this is him .. checking their records should exclude those who would not qualify for 2/3 overseas chevrons and a hot posting ..