Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Neufchatel-Hardelot (Neufchatel) Churchyard

alfox

Afternoon all.

Just wondering if anyone was visiting this churchyard and can take a photo or 2 of a grave for me.

According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Neufchatel, or Neufchatel-Hardelot, is a village and commune in the department of Pas-de-Calais in France approx 13kms south of Boulogne-sur-Mer on the main road (D940) to Etaples. There are 23 war graves in the churchyard; the occupants of whom died in the 25th Field Hospital in Hardelot.

I'm after a photo of Grave No.1, being Pvt. JAMES MALACHI OXENHAM #3095 53rd Battalion AIF DOW 25 July, 1916. I would also appreciate photos of the churchyard and surrounds.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alan Oxenham

Alan

Please PM me your e-mail address and I will send you hi-res photos of the headstone and churchyard etc.

Regards

Peter

post-7183-056044800 1286455216.jpg

Wow. Just when you think this forum could not get any better, it does.

Thanks heaps for that Peter.

PM sent.

Regards,

Alan Oxenham

• 4 years later...

I know that this is an old thread. I am posting this in the hope that one alfox will spot this one day.

Today I have been transcribing the war diaries of 25 General Hospital in Hardelot-Plage. I came across the entry regarding the death of JAMES MALACHI OXENHAM. He died at 8:55am on the morning of 25 July 1916. He was buried on the 26th and Lt Col Stevenson from the hospital attended the funeral. Despite the hospital receiving 3,155 wounded from the Front during July, this was the only death at the hospital for that entire month.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kate,

I don't often get on this forum, but thanks for the information. James would be my first cousin twice removed and I don't know a lot about him.

Any chance of a scan of the entry from the War Diary?

Regards,

Alan Oxenham

• 2 weeks later...

PMed you. I have the War Diary's pages for his death and another one for his funeral

• 8 years later...

Je découvre le site où il semble que beaucoup d'entre vous sont loin d'Hardelot lieu de ma résidence secondaire et proche du cimetière militaire d'Étaples  ....

Ma résidence principale est dans le Nord à Bondues à 125km d'Hardelot.

Je peux donc rendre des services en prenant des photos ou autres...