Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Marias and Jack Johnsons

pmaasz

Can anyone give me a definitive description of these German shells? I know that both were so called because they emit dense black smoke on exploding, and I also know JJs are named after the black boxer of the times. I believe some GWF posts suggest they are one and the same shell, but I have at least two contemporary records that mention them as different shells, possibly of different calibres, used in a single bombardment. I'd be grateful for expert information.

• 2 weeks later...

Your question does not seem to have provoked a response. I am reasonably sure (can't quote source) that the Jack Johnson was the 77mm field gun which fired a 14 lb HE shell. I would gues that the Black Maria was the 105 mm field howitzer which fired a 35 lb HE shell.

Old Tom

Hi,

Black Maria and Jack Johnson(black boxing champion) refers to the black smoke of exploding German heavy houwitser shells (15 - 21 cm)

Cnock

In fact a name given to any large shell that burst with a lot of black smoke. Coal box was another name probably because they made a noise like coal going down a chute and then produced lots of black smoke.

• 1 year later...

Found this thread while looking for an explanation of various slang terms (Johnson, Coal box etc).

Does anyone know of an online source for a comprehensive (or reasonably so) collection of similar slang terms?

Found this thread while looking for an explanation of various slang terms (Johnson, Coal box etc).

Does anyone know of an online source for a comprehensive (or reasonably so) collection of similar slang terms?

Not on line (apart from this forum) A good basic primer in good old fashioned bound paper (a book remember them?) is The long trail by Brophy and Partridge still available 2nd hand.. You also get the songs as a bonus.. Both authors were infantry men in WW1 so knew whereof they wrote.

Not on line (apart from this forum) A good basic primer in good old fashioned bound paper (a book remember them?) is The long trail by Brophy and Partridge still available 2nd hand.. You also get the songs as a bonus.. Both authors were infantry men in WW1 so knew whereof they wrote.

Thanks, I'll look out for a copy that is a bit cheaper than the online booksellers want.

Try http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/~davidt/z_ww1_slang/index_bak.htm

regards

Rod

I looked into these names some time ago. I may be quite wrong but after reading a wide range of soldiers' contemorary acounts I concluded - rightly or wrongly - that the terms were used indiscriminately and became that, generally, not possible know the gun from the shape, size, colour of the exploding round.