Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

a pair reunited

Guest tafski

Well done Bruce.

In view of a recent thread on the subject of splitting medal groups, this story is a breath of fresh air.

Evan Jones: Remembered.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ahh great, We are only taking about this Thursday, glad it all worked out for ya :D

Gaz

Yes, well done Bruce. Any story how it was achieved?

John

Sometimes I wonder how many matches are out there in the hands of members. I know the South Asian Gongs site has a marriage bureau for just this sort of thing.

I'd be willing to track singles to the Northumberland Fusiliers as a test.

Sometimes I wonder how many matches are out there in the hands of members. I know the South Asian Gongs site has a marriage bureau for just this sort of thing.

I'd be willing to track singles to the Northumberland Fusiliers as a test.

I think you are right Michael. I personally have three 'orphaned' Victory Medals and one War Medal. Maybe there should be a list on the forum for these to help people who would like to re-unit pairs / trios.

John

Perhaps ebay does have a use, for reuniting split groups, its the first place I look. I found a Victory medal on there I had been looking for since 1991.

Mick

Well done Bruce, that's great news! Sad to see them split in the first place, but great that they are reunited again, well done again mate.

Barrie

Yes, well done Bruce. Any story how it was achieved?

John

Hi John

simple story was trawling e bay and noticed a victory medal to a monmouthshire man which was in a rather sad state so purchased as its to a regiment local to me, Then to my amazement a few days later the british war medal appeared from a different seller and from a different part of the uk so just couldnt let it go, now they back together at last , as simple as that

Tafski

And so quick too.

I've been collecting medals for 30 years and haven't had a single reunite yet. Some of the medals I have had the longest are singles due to the pocket money not stretching too far as a kid!

I've used the Medal tracker from Token Publishing without success. I'm sure the BMF has a similar operation, but I'd be in favour of having something here too. I have quite a number of singles and broken groups that I would dearly love to reunite with errant medals.

There is hope for us all though as Bruce has shown.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi John

simple story was trawling e bay and noticed a victory medal to a monmouthshire man which was in a rather sad state so purchased as its to a regiment local to me, Then to my amazement a few days later the british war medal appeared from a different seller and from a different part of the uk so just couldnt let it go, now they back together at last , as simple as that

Tafski

I wonder if Ladbrookes would have offered odds on that happening! Great luck and good fortune.

John

I think you are right Michael. I personally have three 'orphaned' Victory Medals and one War Medal. Maybe there should be a list on the forum for these to help people who would like to re-unit pairs / trios.

John

Of course there are a lot fewer Indian medals to any particular regiment, compared to the Northumberlands. The beauty of a separate spreadsheet is that by sorting the medals should match up.

Hi John

Tafski

Hi there Bruce,

Wow...what a fantastic thing to happen...meant to be as they say !

Cheers

Wig

And so quick too.

I've been collecting medals for 30 years and haven't had a single reunite yet. Some of the medals I have had the longest are singles due to the pocket money not stretching too far as a kid!

I've used the Medal tracker from Token Publishing without success. I'm sure the BMF has a similar operation, but I'd be in favour of having something here too. I have quite a number of singles and broken groups that I would dearly love to reunite with errant medals.

There is hope for us all though as Bruce has shown.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for the comments and Nigel maybe we should ask the moderators for a section to reunite medals , a better chance then to find those missing and bring them home .

comments please

tafski

I think it's an idea. On SAGongs the forum is broken down into separate threads for each regiment. Each person lists what he has.

One thought, given the certainty that many British War Medals were smelted, would be to begin with just BWMs. Of course, I would be thrilled to match a Star with a Victory.

A great result. I had a piece of luck like that myself a couple of months ago. I had a pair to Edward Cope of the 4th London regiment and I have had them a couple of years. And then, there on ebay was his death plaque, which I managed to purchase. A very satisfying feeling.

WELL DONE!

Andy

Well done Bruce.....nice to see.

A note of caution...I have had a similiar re unite. Bought a BWM to a namesake in Middlesex Regt. A week later different e bayer from another part of UK has the tatty VM. I bought both at over the odds price. Wonder if it was same dealers?

Regards and well done all the same.

TT

Well done Bruce.....nice to see.

A note of caution...I have had a similiar re unite. Bought a BWM to a namesake in Middlesex Regt. A week later different e bayer from another part of UK has the tatty VM. I bought both at over the odds price. Wonder if it was same dealers?

Regards and well done all the same.

TT

Sounds like the birth of a new conspiracy theory! :ph34r:

Seriously though this sort of thing could be getting harder. A close friend of mine who is a medal collector told me over the weekend that he had spoken to a pawn shop manager as to why they displayed so few medals. He was told they are melting down Great War Medals again. My friend then checked with another pawn shop manager who confirmed they were doing it as well.

John

Sounds like the birth of a new conspiracy theory! :ph34r:

Seriously though this sort of thing could be getting harder. A close friend of mine who is a medal collector told me over the weekend that he had spoken to a pawn shop manager as to why they displayed so few medals. He was told they are melting down Great War Medals again. My friend then checked with another pawn shop manager who confirmed they were doing it as well.

John

In that case all the better that hopefully a re unite section can be put on here :D

tafski

Great to hear a success story,well done.There is a thread that lists the names of medal,death plaque and SWB recipients owned by members on the forum here, http://1914-1918.inv...ic=52929&st=325 ,I think it's aimed at least to giving a person a chance to find a missing medal.I've copied the thread from page fourteen as that's where the full list can be seen.

Regards

Brendan

I've had the good luck to be able to do this a month or two back. Unfortunately it's not the man's full complement, but I was able to reunite his 1914-15 Star with the Victory Medal. I had to get into a real eBay bidding war to get the Star, as it was being sold in tandem with a medal to an East Yorks man killed on the first day of First Ypres. It was well worth it, though. Hopefully one day I can find his BWM.

There's a website called www.reubique.com that's run by a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel who collects Royal Engineers militaria -- I'm pretty sure he has the BWM to a man whose Victory Medal I have. I'm considering contacting him -- I think they belong together no matter who owns them.

Sure!

He's 111864 Pnr. Alfred JAYCOCK of the Royal Engineers.