Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Star BW & V Medals

Raster Scanning

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW1-MEDALS-TRIO-Neal-BEDFORDSHIRE-HERTFORDSHIRE-REGt-/390246781569?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item5adc855281#ht_6514wt_913

Interesting medals to a 5th Battalion man that the medal roll shows applied for replacements. These are them, presumably indicated by the R stamped on them?

Medals show Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire, a mistake, as he served in both but the amalgamated form did not serve in WW1. Are these the only WW1 medals to this unit?

How seriously is the value affected by them being replacements? I have read that medals from other wars are reduced in value and desirability if they are reissues but its less of a problem with most Great War medals, is this true?

Stan

It appears the medals were issued in the 1980's so I am guessing this would certainly effect the value

Replacements attract lower values against the possibility of the originals still being in existence. There have been cases of medals being sold or pawned by the recipient and then claimed as stolen, when they were not. I'd rather not name cases, mindful of legal tangles. There have also been cases where the replacements were not marked - and both subsequently appear on the market.

The most famous 'replacements' must be those of Rambahadur Limbu VC, whose group was stolen whilst he was trvaelling. . The originals have never re-emerged.

Naming a BWM to the Beds & Herts is particularly sloppy!

We had a similar example; partner's father was a pre-WW2 member of the Royal Naval Volunteer Wireless Reserve. We could never fathom, what with his war service counting double, he never got an RNVR Long Service Medal at all, let alone one named to the RNV(W)R - of which there are only some 200 known. He suspected it was he told a new 'Snotty' where to go at a particularly stressful moment on Atlantic convoys. We applied, with all the paperwork including a ceritifacte of service which said RNV(W)R in big letters at the top and after some bureaucracy, it was approved and issued. To RNVR. I said we should have sent it back to be correctly named, but no; well, at least a 60 year omission was corrected.

I have watched these medals with interest. For whatever reason George Leonard Neal had his medals replaced. maybe they were stolen, maybe he lost them, or maybe he pawned them. We may never know. I have been trying to research this man, because, to me it isn't just about the medals, it's is about the man. He served his country in the trenches of the western front, probably bravely and most certainly very, very scared.

I beleive that George was born in Barnet on the 23rd of nov. 1890 and died in Dec. 1986- just a short time before I started my short naval career. Lets just pause a moment and remember these brave young people who gave their all, so that we would be able to buy their medals in years to come........

I also thought that if medals were reported as stolen, then the medal office would require evidence (Police report? I am sure that most people would not dare to fake this, as they would have to prove a robbery/ break in?????). The same as with lost? House fire for example. I'm sure, and I could be wrong, the medal office would not re-issue medals on "I lost 'em at a picnic guv'"?

I'm sure, and I could be wrong, the medal office would not re-issue medals on "I lost 'em at a picnic guv'"?

It used to be the case that medals wouldn't be replaced for free, and a small charge was levied for their reissue. Not sure when that started, but would assume it's still the case today.

You could be right., but why have you you got a commercial market selling "replacement" medals at quite a hefty price (engraved etc.)? When you can get the "proper" replacements for a "small" fee. All I got was the vets. badge (I consider myself lucky to have got that!) and if I lose that, I beleive that there is no replacement.

Surely he would still have to prove their demise?

As to value usually at least less than half ,if you look at dealers lists they are hard to sell even at a bargain price

Cheers

You could be right., but why have you you got a commercial market selling "replacement" medals at quite a hefty price (engraved etc.)? When you can get the "proper" replacements for a "small" fee. All I got was the vets. badge (I consider myself lucky to have got that!) and if I lose that, I beleive that there is no replacement.

Surely he would still have to prove their demise?

If we're only talking about WW1 medals here, then supposedly offically you cannot get the medal office to reissue them anymore as they imposed a cut-off date which WW1 medals come under (although they have broken this several times for special cases, notably a reissue of Harry Patch's BWM and VM after the date). Hence the unofficial sources providing them now. As seen on the Ebay example, late issue replacements aren't always any better than the modern copies now available (the Star naming really is abyssmal).

Final price 57.99 not bad considering, Thanks for all replies.

I just noticed a replacement Victory medal on ebay at the moment.

2797 RFM. F. W. BECKER LOND. R. (REPLACEMENT)

F. W. Becker served with 1/12th London Regiment and his medals were replaced on 12/7/65.

I also notice that both this and the above Victory medal have a slightly different suspender than normal- narrower and taller.

Replacements were issued {& presumably for later awards still are} on completion of a sworn affidavit as to the reason for loss,time ,date,etc; & if approved were replaced as "R" or "D" [Replacement/Duplicate] on prepayment,in the 1980s which was approaching the last Great War reissues the cost was much higher than a contemporary issue with a Trio being costed out at around 40£ [when you could buy most Line Regiments for under twenty]The only bargain was an MC or MM which was "on offer" at around £25.00,at that time!!{I have a replacement "price list" from that era will post it here ASAP.

Thanks Harry, the example I had in mind concerned the reissue of a Naval gallantry medal probably around the same time for about £65, which seemed like a small charge to me - the £40 for reissuing an "ordinary" trio puts that in stark comparison!