Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to find information on these 2 Men

ander11

Hi there Guys

Can anybody help me with my research into the 2nd Battalion the black watch. I have two names from the book ( A Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia ),But I cannot find anything on these two men from the CWGC or SDGW . Could this be an error ,ie wrong number, or spelling , or did these guys survive the war

Page 135 S/15066 Pte D.Stewart killed in action 14/03/1917

Page 136 1381 Pte G Hendrie died from wounds 30/01/1916

any help is much appreciated

Ian

Hi Ian

Your man 1381 George Hendrie has a date of discharge on his medal card of 18/09/1916.

Duncan has no mention in The History Of The Black Watch 2nd bn casualties,and no info on his MIC.

all the best Gary.

Hello Gary ,

Many thanks for your information ,that helps a lot.So the book has errors in it , I am also looking for a John Stewart aged around 33 but this man has a middle name Simpson but he didnt use it.

Cheers Gary and I appreciated the help you gave me

Ian

Hi Ian

SDGW the Black Watch the book only has two John Stewarts from the 2nd who died,S/7730 Pte John Stewart d.o.w 22/06/1916 Persian Gulf ( Born and enlisted Edinburgh ) and S/8765 Pte John Stewart K.I.A.18/06/1916 Persin Gulf.( brn Creiff enlisted Perth.)

Gary.

Hi there gary, yes I have been looking at them . but S/7730 has been knock off,as I found his age was 29 and the john stewart I am looking was 33.

I started looking for him with little info my grans marriage cert, birth and her death cert and as usual no one every spoke about him. My father has his large bronze medal but after my gran died his campaign medals were lost so I didnt know his army number the other thing I Know he was buried in Iraq

cheers gary for your help

Ian

1381 PTE G HENDRIE WAS IN THE WOUNDED LISTS PUBLISHED IN THE SCOTSMAN ON 3/4/1916.

15066 PTE D STEWART WAS IN THE WOUNDED LISTS PUBLISHED IN THE SCOTSMAN ON 10/8/1917.

BLAMPIED'S BOOK IS GOOD BUT NOT PERFECT (BUT THEN NONE OF US ARE)

HOPE THIS HELPS

FRED

Hello Fred, Cheers mate thats another piece in the jigsaw. I appreciated the info you have sent

Best reguards

Ian :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hi Ian

SDGW the Black Watch the book only has two John Stewarts from the 2nd who died,S/7730 Pte John Stewart d.o.w 22/06/1916 Persian Gulf ( Born and enlisted Edinburgh ) and S/8765 Pte John Stewart K.I.A.18/06/1916 Persin Gulf.( brn Creiff enlisted Perth.)

Gary.

Hello Gary , I would like to update this post . Pte S/7730 John Stewart D.o.w 22/06/1916 is my great grandfFather , My father (John Stewart Anderson) has his death penny has come across a document held together with tape with information saying that they buried him,but later in the war he was removed and then reburied in Amara war cemetery. It gives the grave number and his army number S/7730 with the 2nd Battalion The black Watch.

I still don't know why he did not use the middle name simpson, which on his marriage cert and my grans birth cert or where simpson comes from

Best reguards from a happy guy

Ian