Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poona, India

lizzie10

I am writing full in the knowledge that the question I am asking is not really for this forum, but I am sure that the very knowledgeable members may put me in the right direction. I am not even quite sure that the person that I am looking for is the correct one, but here goes. I am looking for a soldier in the 2nd Battalion Durham Light Infantry, who died in Poona on 18 September 1896, he was a Colour Sergeant. His name is Alexander Stewart aged 37, and all I can find out is that he is Scottish and died of angina. Is there anyway in tracing his army record to try and establish that he is the correct gentleman that I am looking for - possibly next of kin, or place of birth etc.

I would be very, very grateful for any help or advice at all.

Lizzy

Hello Lizzy,

Alexander's death certificate should be available from the National Archives, but you will need a certificate reference number. If you go to the Findmypast website first, you can check the records for Deaths Overseas 1761-1994, for a small fee. This gives a list of pages to check, and since you know the year of death it shouldn't take too long. Take a note of the certificate reference,you can then use the reference to order a certificate from the National Archives, for a fee. This certificate may show he was married, and his fathers name. This will possibly confirm if he is tha correct person. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alf McM