Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roclincourt

fritz

Hello,

recently I could get this pic on ebay.

On the backsite is written in German: Westl. des Sprengtrichters die Ortschaft Roclincourt.

In English "Western of the explosive crater the village of Roclincourt." Roclincourt is near Arras.

Are their still today remains of it?

Fritz

post-12337-095597700 1285856014.jpg

Hi Fritz, this could be one of the three craters between Arras and Roclincourt blown by the Germans in June 1916 and known by the British as Claude, Cuthbert and Clarence. Claude and Clarence are still there. The attack caught a company of the 15th Royal Warwicks, the 2nd Birmingham Pals, including my great-uncle, whose body was never recovered. His name is on the Arras memorial. A picture of Claude today is here. You can click on the picture to enlarge it. I have visited the scene: one crater is still accessible, the other is fenced off.

There was another picture on Chris Baker's LLT site, but he seems to have removed it while he revamps.

cheers Martin B

Hi Martin,

thanks for your reply.

I googled a little bit and discovered this map with the craters you mentioned.

Best wishes

Fritz

post-12337-045040000 1285867107.jpg

fritz

As has been mentioned, the two caters are still there, both of which have been used to dump rubbish in. Claude has been fenced off but the Imperial War Museum has a photograph of it being used as a British observation post.

My grandfather was in the trenches immediately behind and to the left of it on 9th April 1917 with the 10th Lincolns, the Grimsby Chums.

TR

The C family are well known, however, given the name Roclincourt could have meant one of the K family of craters further north and therefore nearer to the village. See map below.

post-28845-049463500 1285873469.jpg

JIm

Hi Jim, :thumbsup:

yes, I think you are right. It must be one of the K-craters. But I can´t see anything on Google map.

Fritz

• 2 months later...

Just remembered I had a photo of Clarence and Claude for those interested. Clarence on the left, Bailleul Rd West Cemetery visible on the right.

post-28845-056605400 1292351227.jpg

Jim

I guided our Birmingham WFA group to this spot in October and explained the German raid on the 15th Warwicks(2nd Bham Pals) on June 4 1916 when the three mines were blown. It is a quiet spot except on Sunday mornings when the local gun club arrive - they have a base inside the area of Claud.

Hi Fritz

I looked up the other craters whilst in the area last time. Two of them (Kite and King) are marked on an older 1:25000 map but there is no sign of them any more except some rough ground around where King was.

Hope the Arbitur marathon is almost over for you!

Jim

• 13 years later...
On 01/10/2010 at 00:45, Martin Bennitt said:

Hi Fritz, this could be one of the three craters between Arras and Roclincourt blown by the Germans in June 1916 and known by the British as Claude, Cuthbert and Clarence. Claude and Clarence are still there. The attack caught a company of the 15th Royal Warwicks, the 2nd Birmingham Pals, including my great-uncle, whose body was never recovered. His name is on the Arras memorial. A picture of Claude today is here. You can click on the picture to enlarge it. I have visited the scene: one crater is still accessible, the other is fenced off.

There was another picture on Chris Baker's LLT site, but he seems to have removed it while he revamps.

cheers Martin B

http://tmapper.com

51b.G.12.a.25.74 Claude Crater
51b.G.12.a.22.40 Clarence Crater
51b.G.12.a.25.16 Cuthbert Crater

On 01/10/2010 at 05:04, JimSmithson said:

The C family are well known, however, given the name Roclincourt could have meant one of the K family of craters further north and therefore nearer to the village. See map below.

<snip>

JIm

51b.A.30.c.47.17 Kite Carter
51b.G.6.a.48.46 Kick Crater
51b.G.6.a.51.17 Kent Crater

use only the map reference to find them

• Admin
On 06/05/2024 at 12:34, Hello hello said:

51b.G.12.a.25.74 Claude Crater
51b.G.12.a.22.40 Clarence Crater
51b.G.12.a.25.16 Cuthbert Crater

Welcome to the GWF Hello hello,

In the 'Spirit' of the forum, it would be courteous of you to add a short paragraph that explains your findings and your interest in this thread.

GWF TEAM.

• Admin
On 06/05/2024 at 12:36, Hello hello said:

51b.A.30.c.47.17 Kite Carter
51b.G.6.a.48.46 Kick Crater
51b.G.6.a.51.17 Kent Crater

use only the map reference to find them

Hello hello,

again, in the 'Spirit' of the forum, it would be courteous of you to add a short paragraph that explains your findings and your interest in this thread.

GWF TEAM.

GWF TEAM,

'Spirit' is a wonderful concept and in keeping with that ethos assistance and sharing is a primary motivation as I learn more about using the various tools that are becoming more stable and useful in the great swamp ringed by goat track, that internet thing.

Nothing to explain and my interest in this thread is nothing other than taking on the exercise of geo-locating to a map reference that seemed wanting.

HH

I tried 51b.A.30.c.47.17 for Kite Crater in TrenchMapper by putting in 51b.A.30.c.47.17 and clicking Convert.

Searching for Kite gives Kite Crater but at 51b.G.6.a.5.2

Howard

Roclincourt2.jpg

Roclincourt1.jpg

bear in mind, also that the thread concerned is over 13 years old since last reply.

there are many members that are no longer researching or even alive on the forum.

Hi Howard,

Something is wrong here... TrenchMapper unless Jim was wrong with his labeling as that is what I relied upon matching the craters in TMapper.

Have used his naming from north to south...

51b.A.30.c.42.65, King Trench (on the road, JS match)
51b.A.30.c.47.17 Kite Carter (JS match)
51b.G.6.a.48.46 Kick Crater (JS match)
51b.G.6.a.51.17 Kent Crater (JS match)

Kite 51b.G.6.a.5.2 is within a whisker of TMapper's Kent Crater.

Also note that none of these "K" craters as craters are listed in TMapper as such, but a few "K" trenches are and a few adjoin the holes in the ground.

HH

Four K's in a row.png

1 hour ago, chaz said:

bear in mind, also that the thread concerned is over 13 years old since last reply.

there are many members that are no longer researching or even alive on the forum.

ACK

HH

• Admin

Can you translate please for this dinosaur? 

Have a look at m_012167 in TrenchMapper. Right click and choose Map ID jump with ID=m_012167. Also m_001610 and a few others. Change maps in the left panel.

tmapper is Bill's site, the same Bill who is developing TrenchMapper. The data sources are the same.

Howard

Name: The Battle of Arras
Sheet: 51B NW 1 & NW 3 [parts of]
Scale: 1:10,000
Edition: 9/04/1917
Annotated . Printed 14/04/1917
Id: m_012167

Roclincourt3.jpg

Edited by Howard
Forgot the map!

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Can you translate please for this dinosaur? 

Hi Michelle, ACK is military slang for Acknowledged.  Our new member is very keen but isn't yet sharing a lot about themself!