Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good Idea on EBay

ForeignGong

I wish the guy (or gal) all the luck. Hopefully his/her comments may get some results. 10/10 for making an effort.

It also seems that many sellers are isolating the ribbons from medals and selling them as separate lots.

If this stops the erasure of at least one medal, then the statement will have been worth it. However, considering the likely motivation of folk who practice this, I suspect it will probably be as effective as a chocolate tea pot!

Steve

I've asked a question in the form of a pat on the back for the guy, basically just saying 'Hear, hear, well done'. Hopefully he will show it on the listing. If people agree with his statement, why not do the same and help him show that he has some wider support?

You never know, it could turn into a kind of online petition.

Cheers,

Nigel

Good idea,

Here's my message of support. I hope he adds it to the listing:

I couldn't agree more. I would never bid for an erased medal. To remove a mans details from a medal is nothing short of a betrayal. To do it for profit is just criminal. These people are of the same character as those who steal war memorial plaques for the metal scrap.

Remember when there was a glut of death plaques on a green marble background ?

A similar counter advertisment on ebay seemed to drive off the fraudsters.

Mick

However, considering the likely motivation of folk who practice this, I suspect it will probably be as effective as a chocolate tea pot!

Steve,

The folk who erase medals have a motivation but it is the buffoons who bid on erased medals that really need educating.

They are absolute a****s

I've asked a question in the form of a pat on the back for the guy, basically just saying 'Hear, hear, well done'. Hopefully he will show it on the listing. If people agree with his statement, why not do the same and help him show that he has some wider support?

You never know, it could turn into a kind of online petition.

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel.

I have replied, and hope does do some good. Well done that man!

...but it is the buffoons who bid on erased medals that really need educating.

They are absolute a****s

LoL Where's The Like Button!!! Ooops Sorry this isnt Facebook!!! :w00t::w00t:

I agree with the sentiments expressed and applaud this ebay user's efforts. However, I cannot understand the economics of erasing any medal. Surely even a single Victory medal to Private Nosmo Jones of the West Cornwall Waterworks and Catteries Battalion is worth (slightly) more inscribed than erased? I can only suppose that some misguided creatures are desperate to have that missing medal and the poor sensitive things couldn't bear to have someone else's name on it, so much so that they'll pay over the value of a single medal. Is this how it works?

I have an MGC pair with an erased 14-15 star, which I presume was acquired by the pair's recipient. I can understand why he might have done this, but it is a pity, especially as enough remains to see that the original owner was in the 15th Londons.

Just how many newly erased medals are supposedly out there, there have been erased medals since medals were first awarded, they have always been around. Are you saying they are erased to convince us they are unnamed, because there are unnamed examples around.

LoL Where's The Like Button!!! Ooops Sorry this isnt Facebook!!! :w00t::w00t:

Could use twitter to get the message out there :thumbsup:

hi auchonvillers

they are erased for a number of reasons..

At the minute a genuine erased victory medal may go for up to £18 - £20, whereas i just bought a named RA victory medal today for £10 inclusive of P&P from ebay.

War medals are the same.. but they sell erased for ££20 - 25 up whereas i again bought a war medal today on ebay named ASC for £12.50.

Stars are same again but more expensive etc...

So the effect of this is

in particular RA and ASC victory, BWM and stars, singles are getting erased and resold for profit..... Why you ask???

well some collectors would rather have a genuine erased original to make up a set that is missing that medal rather than having another soldiers name "spoiling" the set.

Others will have an erased medal restamped.. either to give the impression the medal set is complete (saying the medal is renamed) or fraudulantly claiming the group is complete and hopeing the re stamped medal is not spotted.

then some others just want a blank original to complete the collection but dont want the guilt of doing the erasing themselves.

thats what i think anyway...But point taken there are genuine unnamed issued originals.. I am talking about those medals advertised as "neatly" or "professionally" erased.

but thanks for all the positive feedback on the idea anyway.. i hope it works. I intend to re run it again as so far not one person has given me bad feedback.

thanks again

ian

Ian,

I sent you a "Well done" via E-bay for your listing and I applaud the way that you have lsited all the similar replies on the page.

Events such as this sometimes gain their own momentum so it will be interesting to see how many "page views" your Lot reaches by the end of its run.

This practice annoys me. Having been erased of the whole point of what is meant to represent, it causes me to wonder - why, oh why, would anyone want an erased medal? To collect simply a small piece of metal and ribbon with no regard or respect for the person who earned it through his actions, to have no context for the medal and to not understand that each piece is a human story, seems to me like a collection to be ashamed of. Surely the inscribed name cannot detract from the medal but enhance it?