Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals Conumdrum

mikefry

Hi All,

I have one or two questions (amongst many others) concerning a perceived discrepancy between a mans' MIC and another source.

On the CWGC site, there is a record for Charles Raymond TREADGOLD, Lance Corporal in the 3rd Bn, London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers). Charles died, aged 21, on 28th August 1918. The entry goes on to state that he was awarded the MM and bar.

His MIC, on Ancestry, makes no mention of these awards. Neither can I locate any mention of him in the London Gazette.

Can anyone help me locate the Gazette entry, and so move towards resolving the discrepancy.

Mike

Don't be put off by the fact that the MIC available on Ancestry makes no mention of an MM. That card is principally a record of the campaign medals awarded and was not used for gallantry awards although reference to such awards is sometimes recorded thereon.

The MM was recorded on a separate card system and is available on the National Archives site and not on Ancestry. Checking the NA index shows there is another card, possibly for a MM, for Charles Raymond Treadgold available here...http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6494375&queryType=1&resultcount=4. Downloading the card should tell you which London Gazette issue the award was listed in.

The London Gazette site doesn't appear to be searchable at the moment, I'm getting a nil response to every search I make (even when I know something's there) so I'll try later if no one else has done it before then.

Regards

Steve

Mike

Don't be put off by the fact that the MIC available on Ancestry makes no mention of an MM. That card is principally a record of the campaign medals awarded and was not used for gallantry awards although reference to such awards is sometimes recorded thereon.

The MM was recorded on a separate card system and is available on the National Archives site and not on Ancestry. Checking the NA index shows there is another card, possibly for a MM, for Charles Raymond Treadgold available here...http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6494375&queryType=1&resultcount=4. Downloading the card should tell you which London Gazette issue the award was listed in.

The London Gazette site doesn't appear to be searchable at the moment, I'm getting a nil response to every search I make (even when I know something's there) so I'll try later if no one else has done it before then.

I've downloaded the card. A copy is attached.

Like you, I can get no data back from the search engine of the London Gazette :angry:

By the way, how do I relate the information from the card to an issue of the Gazette?

There's no result from a search using 'Treadgold' in The Times archive, which often reprinted some of the awards and appointments given in the Gazette, either

NigelS

London Gazette online is back, after a fashion, and can now confirm MM & Bar.

Bar to the MM was listed in London Gazette #31061, 11th December 1918. Link is here..http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31061/supplements/14651

LONDON REGIMENT.

251464 Pte. C. R. Treadgold, M.M. (Clapham).

3rd Bn.

(M.M. gazetted 12th June, 1918.)

MM was listed in the London Gazette #30743, 12th June 1918 but can't seem to get the pdf file for that page to open (I did say Gazette was back after a fashion :whistle: )

Regards

Steve

London Gazette site now appears to be working correctly and the link to the original listing for the MM is here...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30743/supplements/7015

Thanks for the information. This is the first time that I've retrieved anything from the Gazette, and I must say that I'm a trifle disappointed. I expected to find a little more detail. Guess the detail would be at TNA.

The site does appear to be working more or less as expected. Took them a while to put a notice up on the home page saying that it be 6pm today (BST?) before they expected it to be working properly. Looks like they're ahead of schedule :blink:

• Admin

You do not usually find citations for the MM in the Gazette. I think but I might be wrong that the citations were also another casualty of WW2.

Michelle