Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regemental Number on Medal?

frank7

Hi,

Invariably the number he was given on attestation - for example my great uncle was Welch Regt, RWF then RE but his medals were inscribed with the Welch Regt number.

Cheers,

Martin

The number he had when he first entered a theatre of war. Often the MIC will have a little symbol (X, with four dots between the arms) to show which details should be used on the medal.

Hi

Thanks Guys.

Just that i have been trying with both numbers ,as i dont have any of his (attestation documention ) whatsoever!

Only have his M.I.C and an amount of info on war diarys.

Thanks. Frank

i dont have any of his (attestation documention ) whatsoever!

Only have his M.I.C and an amount of info on war diarys.

The attestation stuff is a red herring I'm afraid; only true if, as Michael suggests, he went overseas with the unit that he first joined (which very commonly wasn't the case)

Why don't you post his details here, see what some of the folks hereabouts can make of it. There's a lot that can be ascertained from the apparently innocuous details on MIC's.......

Hi Headgardener,

New to the forum ,hope you can bare with me!!

Im looking for ;Thomas morris

REGT ; East Yorks/2nd btn

No ;(18325)

Thetre of War; (1) France ; Date of entry. 8.5.15

Wounded; @ Loos Sept/ posted wounded Oct 1915

Later ;Rebadged in Yorks&Lancs (34527) No further information??

Class Z ; 15.3.1919

Medals ; 15 Star/ V.Medal /W.Medal

Sorry guys thats all i have!!:blush:

His regimental number looks like it probably was the number that he received on attestation, and looks like he went to France as a reinforcement for 2nd Bn.

You'll need some more expert opinion on the Y&L number, looks quite late to me, probably late '17 or early '18 at a guess. I'm sure that there's a Y&L expert hereabouts who can give you some advice on this. Otherwise there's a forum member who has a blog about WW1 army numbers, just google 'army numbers blog' and it should come up. There may be something on there for Y&L.

I'm guessing that he was wounded in late '15, as you say, and that he may have returned to the front with the EYR and then transferred to the Y&L, or alternatively he may have taken a long time to recover from his wounds and not gone back to the front until his service with the Y&L. You can find out more by checking the roll for his BW&VM; it will list the various battalions that he served overseas with, but it won't give dates, I'm afraid.

You could also try renaming this thread so as to mention your man's regiments, that may help it to get a bit more attention from the right sources.

Edit; I see you already have another thread open on this man.