Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MICMAC

David Filsell

Can anyone kindly tell me the location of Camp MicMac ( sometimes Mic Mac or Mic-Mac) in the Ypres area 1917 and/or provide me with any background on it please?

Many thanks

Hello David

Micmac camp was next to the railway sidings at Ouderdom, not far from Dickebusch. I've got a map showing the location somewhere. I'll try to post it here.

David.

Micmac in mid 1918...

Dave.

post-4-1086968712.jpg

...and Micmac Farm today (circled)

Dave.

post-4-1086969186.jpg

Many thanks guys, much appreciated. As a follow-up has anyone any ideas of the camp's history or the reason for its name. In 1917, immediately prior to 3rd Ypres it was apparently something of a hell-hole in terms of facilities, food, and sanitation

according to R C Sherriff (Journey's End) who was there with the 9th East Surreys.

Anyway your help much appreciated as ever. The assistance from people on the forum genuinely warms the cockles!

David, it seems to me to be one of the string of Canadian names used for camps e.g. Toronto Camp, Halifax Camp, St Lawrence Camp, in and around the salient, perhaps built or christened by Canadian units.

I found these by Googling...

"The Micmac Indians of northeast North America are thought to have been the first native American society to encounter Europeans"

"Historians and archaeologists differ as to when the Mi'kmaq first came to Newfoundland. Newfoundland Mi'kmaq oral tradition holds that the Mi'kmaq were living in Newfoundland prior to European contact. There is some historical evidence that the Mi'kmaq were living in Newfoundland by the 16th century, and by the 17th century there are increasing references to the Mi'kmaq in the historical record".

Well I've learned something there, I have to say!

Chris

Many thanks. I feel that you should try to get out a little more! Or else we should all learn Micmac Paddywack.

Thanks & regards

David

The beneath photos are taken in thw area of MicMac

Gilbert Deraedt

• 19 years later...

... and 19 years later I had the same question - as it was where Capt Gordon Mapplebeck - 1st North Staffs was hit by a shell on 29 Jul 1917 and died the following day at 5th London Field Ambulance and then buried at Reninghelst New Military Cemetery. The war diary reveals, in as many words, that they were preparing for the Third Battle of Ypres which, as you know, started on 31 Jul 1917.

He is remembered on the Lillington and Leamington Spa war memorials. His memorial page .. https://www.swfhs.org.uk/index.php/war-memorial-transcriptions/war-memorial-transcritions-l-r/lillington-wm/16-the-men-who-fell-in-ww1/2594-capt-gw-mapplebeck

My uncle was at Micmac Camp with the 3rd Btn the Rifle Brigade immediately before Third Ypres. He was killed on 31 July near Shrewbury Forest, and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

5 hours ago, sassenach said:

uncle was at Micmac Camp with the 3rd Btn the Rifle Brigade

Near Ouderdom, as others have pointed out.

image.png.354f2b78b4454e8c3bb7bf2653eb6ef1.png