Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Adam O Hutton - 4th Northants

JOSTURM

Does any body have any knowledge of an man from Dunfermline, Adam O Hutton who was an Officer commissioned from the 6th Royal Highlanders to the 4th Northants on 30.1.18 ?

Thanks

Josturm

PL

THere is an Officer service record at Kew under WO339/85433 for a HUTTON A. There are three others for HUTTON,all with A as a first initial but two with W and one with M as second initial,they are two Captains and one Lt.

Someone here with a WO338 Index can tell you if that is his file.

Sotonmate

PL

THere is an Officer service record at Kew under WO339/85433 for a HUTTON A. There are three others for HUTTON,all with A as a first initial but two with W and one with M as second initial,they are two Captains and one Lt.

Someone here with a WO338 Index can tell you if that is his file.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

thanks for this - I checked WO338-10 yesterday (in a hurry) at Kew, but couldn't find an entry for Adam Hutton, then checked his SWB Officers and got the following entry:

Hutton – SWB

WO 329 3250

OFF/1272

2Lt Hutton A.O. – Northamptonshire Regiment - B45504 – (SV 7) 72 Pilmuir St

Dunfermline Scotland.

Have tracked him in the 01C living with his grandparents, but 11C not yet available.

Thanks for your help,

PL

I don't think either of those files belongs to Adam Hutton. His file is likely to be a WO374 file which don't usually get noted on WO338.

He is not one of the 1/4th Battalion Officers on the Nominal Rolls of the battalion officers through 1918 - it is likely that he was attached to a different Regiment as the Army Lists show his name as italicised throughout 1918, which I believe is shorthand for either attached or seconded.

This is backed up by a London Gazette entry of 27-2-1918:

Northamptonshire Regt.—

Lt. J. Carney is seconded. 30th Jan. 1918.

2nd Lt. T. E. George is seconded. 30th Jan. 1918.

2nd Lt. T. Hood is seconded. 30th Jan. 1918.

2nd Lt. A. Hutton is seconded. 30th Jan. 1918.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30546/supplements/2582

The London Gazette of 18-12-1918 suggests that his attachment was to the 9th Battalion of the Northamptonshire Regiment - a training battalion formed out of the 62nd Provisional Battalion in 1917, and based at Cley in Norfolk until mid-1918 when it moved to Sheringham.

4th Bn., Northamptonshire Regt.—

2nd Lt. Adam Hutton (attd. 9th Bn.) relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service, and retains the rank of 2nd Lt. 19th Dec. 1918.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31072/supplements/14886

However, "ill-health contracted on active service" suggests that he may have served overseas?

Of the officers seconded on the 30 January 1918:

J Carney was seconded to the Royal Engineers, and to the Staff as a Railway Transport Officer;

T E George was attached to the 9th Battalion; and

T Hood was attached to the Labour Corps in November 1918, and was likely attached to the 9th Battalion beforehand.

The Army Lists of April 1918 through to August 1918 show Carney, Hutton, George & Hood as Second Lieutenants in the 9th Battalion attached from the 4th Battalion. Carney and Hood disappear from 9th Battalion on the Army List of September 1918 (referring to August movements). Hutton and George are shown as 9th battalion through to the November 1918 Army List (and possibly beyond).

A man called Adam Hutton was part of the Inland Revenue in the 1920s:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33283/pages/3766

There was also an A. Hutton in the Royal Artillery in WW2, though I can't find his christian name:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/34798/supplements/1097

Steve.

A-ha..Mr Beeby..Stebie...thanks a lot for all this background on the elusive Adam Hutton.

I still have my medal and research to Stanley Beeby btw.

Hope you're very well and thanks again - a big help,

Peter

aka Josturm