Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7/8th Battalion KOSB War Diary sought

nthornton1979

As the title suggests, I am posting in the hope that a member can help me out with the War Diary entry for this raid.

I am researching Temp 2/Lt Haining who was awarded the MC for this action.

Many thanks

Neil

As the title suggests, I am posting in the hope that a member can help me out with the War Diary entry for this raid.

I am researching Temp 2/Lt Haining who was awarded the MC for this action.

Many thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have the history of the 7th/8th KOSB. A description of the raid is given on pages 230/231 and 2/Lt G.A.Haining is mentioned as having been awarded the M.C. for the raid. I can copy out the section if you feel it would be useful, or perhaps you would prefer to wait for someone with the war diary, which may be more detailed?

Robert

Hi Neil,

I have the history of the 7th/8th KOSB. A description of the raid is given on pages 230/231 and 2/Lt G.A.Haining is mentioned as having been awarded the M.C. for the raid. I can copy out the section if you feel it would be useful, or perhaps you would prefer to wait for someone with the war diary, which may be more detailed?

Robert

Robert,

That would be great if you could do that for me. I bought the Regiment history which does mention it but I'll welcome any accounts I can find. I wasn't aware there was an actual battalion history aswell.

Thanks again

Neil

Hi Neil,

From: A Border Battalion: The History of the 7/8th(Service)Battalion King's Own Scottish Borderers; Pages 230/231

"That night the battalion made a successful raid, capturing six Germans and one machine-gun. The raiding party consisted of seven detachments, each with a definite task to perform. Two officers were detailed to accompany the party, which was to enter the enemy's position in Iceland Trench, situated near the village of Feuchy on the south side of the railway. For several nights before the raid active patrolling was carried out by 'A' Company in the neighbourhood of Iceland Trench; as a result much valuable information was gleaned in regard to the enemy's dispositions. Zero hour was 11-30pm. At 11-15 the raiders were in position in front of our wire. Prompt to the moment our artillery opened up a perfect three-minutes barrage on the objective, and immediately upon the lifting of the barrage the raiders moved forward, and a few minutes later entered Iceland Trench, and set to work to demolish it. Many Huns who showed signs of resistance were killed. Having accomplished their task, the officers in charge of the raid fired two red Verey lights which gave the signal to withdraw. 2nd Lieut. J.Dryburgh was severley wounded by shell-fire on the way back to our lines. He was carried down to the dressing station and coveyed to hospital, where he died a few hours afterwards. Bugler Dodds was killed by shell-fire on the parapet while sounding the withdrawal.

2nd Lieut.J.Dryburgh and 2nd Lieut.G.A.Haining were the officersof the raiding party, and did excellent work, for which 2nd Lieut.G.A.Haining was afterwards awarded the Military Cross.

Our casualties for this tour in the trenches, including the raid, were: one officer died of wounds, one officer missing, believed killed, two officers wounded, five O.Rs. killed or died of wounds, four O.Rs. missing, and thirty O.Rs. wounded.

On the 25th of June the battalion was relieved by the 8th Seaforths, and once again returned to Portsmouth Camp in Divisional reserve."

I have also looked at the KOSB History by Stair Gillon and see that there are variations between the narratives. I suppose that a 'marrying' of the two versions would actually make more interesting reading?

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes, Robert

Hi Neil,

I have posted reply but is not showing on main menu--so am posting this to try and move my reply forward onto same!!

I hope that this works?

Robert

Yep, it worked! Must have Gremlins in again!!

Robert,

Many thanks for your help with this. There's certainly more info than in the regiment history (but like you say, a few discrepencies)

Much appreciated.

Neil

A nice suprise this morning. Not only did I wake up to find the account of he raid postd but also T2/Lt' Haining's MC group arrived in th post.

For your viewing pleasure.

LG 24TH SEPT 1918

"FOR CONSPICUOUS GALLANTRY AND DEVOTION TO DUTY IN CHARGE OF A RAIDNG PARTY. HE LED HIS MEN WITH GREAT DASH AND COURAGE TO THE ENEMY POSITION, KILLED AN ENEMY OFFICER WHO HAD ATTCKED AND WOUNDED HIM IN THE HEAD, AND WITH HIS PARTY CAPTURED SIX PRISONERS AND A MACHINE GUN. HE SET A VERY FINE EXAMPLE TO HIS MEN"

post-42493-045778300 1285418750.jpg

post-42493-026844500 1285418800.jpg