Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No. 106 Fuze

RodB

Hello All,

I have posted the picture of the painting on a different thread, so apologies if you have seen it before. 

On 30th Nov 1917, at Little Priel Farm, a detachment of men in a forward position won 12 decorations (including Sgt Cyril E Gourley's V.C) for keeping a 4.5 inch Howitzer firing despite incoming artillery shells, rifle fire and being strafed by German aircraft.

A section of Major John Hudson's report (Battery Commander), states that the men were firing High Explosive Shells, fitted with 106 Fuzes, and using open sights (as the Germans were so close).

The painting by David Rowlands was commissioned by the R.A. as part of the centenary commemorations for Sgt Gourley and the other men (including my Grandfather).

I'm sure the experts out there know that the fuzes were fitted just prior to loading the shell (I didn't until I started my research), and this is correctly depicted in David's painting.  The second picture shows my inert 4.5 inch Howitzer H.E. Shell fitted with a transit cap, which would have been removed prior to the Fuze being fitted.

The success of the men's actions that day (in supporting other troops and keeping the enemy at bay), must somehow show the 106 Fuze was highly successful, even at short range.

V/R

Wayne

image.jpg

image.jpg