Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms

DCLI

See pic. I am about to get this pic 'colourised' and I need to know what bit of uniform is what colour.

Can anybody help?

Also, any idea what colour the huts might be?

post-3297-012788400 1285242368.jpg

Blue putties were a standard Clothing item, so may well have been used.

the overcoat may, on the other hand, be standard OR drab material.

winter 1914 at a guess.

Scott

I assume the cap is faded. Would the blue have been more a royal blue?

Pic was taken at Pirbright Camp, posted at 4pm, 23 Jan, I guess 1915, as these chaps (DCLI) went to France in July of that year.

The card says, some of K.I.Vs = Kitchener's I(?) Volunteers. What did the I stand for?

Kitchener Blue is not quite 'navy' (lighter), not quite royal (darker). The FS cap will surely blend, as they look fairly uniform (colourwise) to me. Not sure about the greatcoats, which are not standard pattern. My mate Chris Foster (ChrisCPGW) is your man here re; colours.

Cheers

Peter

Might not come out, but can you zoom on the collar badges at least two blokes are wearing? Just nosey, that's all.

Might not come out, but can you zoom on the collar badges at least two blokes are wearing? Just nosey, that's all.

Probably shoulder titles - they seem to have done this sometimes when the blue uniforms didn't have shoulder straps to put them on.

Probably shoulder titles - they seem to have done this sometimes when the blue uniforms didn't have shoulder straps to put them on.

Agree. I have a similar picture.

Can I tag a question onto this thread I have been meaning to ask for a while?

Most of the pictures I have or have seen which show Kitchener Blues - show the men in "forage caps" however I recently picked up the following image.

This seems to show dark (blue?) uniforms and dark Service Dress caps... did such a beast exist? If so - how common were they? if not...what are these?

The uniforms seem better tailored than KBs but I am pretty sure these are not khaki.

post-14525-020624700 1285297006.jpg

Chris

Most of the pictures I have or have seen which show Kitchener Blues - show the men in "forage caps" however I recently picked up the following image.

This seems to show dark (blue?) uniforms and dark Service Dress caps... did such a beast exist? If so - how common were they? if not...what are these?

The uniforms seem better tailored than KBs but I am pretty sure these are not khaki.

post-14525-020624700 1285297006.jpg

Chris,

There are several photos of men wearing Kitchener Blues in Chambers "Uniforms & Equipment of the British Army in world War I", including a great photo of a soldier in the Lincoln's wearing a Home service Dress Cap of the same colour as tunic, trousers and putties- so they did exist. The book also displays the various styles of tunic.

A cloth shoulder title is shown as well worn by a man in the East Surreys.

DCLI,

I couldn't describe the colour accurately having never seen them in the flesh, that's why I posted the link to the other thread. I think Peter has described the colour. I'd be interested in seeing the end result with the image though.

Scott

The collar badges Are the DCLI Light Infantry horn badge and a not quite semi circle saying 'Cornwall' underneath.

post-3297-028706200 1285318930.jpg

This is where I get shot down in flames, but wasn't Kitchener Blue supposed to be made from material in stock or ordered for Post Office uniforms If that is so, the colour will be that of a turn-of-the-last-century postie. There bound to be a collector somewhere who knows the colour exactly.

G

Got it, thanks to all who contributed on this subject.

The image belongs to DCLI so if he doesn't mind I'll post it up when it's completed.

Chris did you colour the image on your previous post?

CT, yes its one of mine . You'll find the full version of it in this thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89972&hl=colouriesd&st=0

There are some large gaps, as I had to pull a lot of the better images off the GWF, due to copyright infringement ( IWM) but you'll get the picture . If you pardon the pun .

Regards

Chris

The image belongs to DCLI so if he doesn't mind I'll post it up when it's completed.

Chris did you colour the image on your previous post?

Colin, I have no objections

DCLI

DCLI thanks - should have it on the board over the weekend i'll email you for your approval first.

This is where I get shot down in flames, but wasn't Kitchener Blue supposed to be made from material in stock or ordered for Post Office uniforms If that is so, the colour will be that of a turn-of-the-last-century postie. There bound to be a collector somewhere who knows the colour exactly.

G

Your thoughts!

If Gareth is correct, some pictures of an original Post Office jacket from the war would probably be of some help. I wonder who's handled one of those recently? :innocent: Hope these are of use, the colour was very much a dark blue, almost black colour (the first picture of the front is probably the closest, the other two have been lightened by the flash substantially):

http://postimage.org/image/28by6fu90/full/

DzpK9.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/mlf3m2bo/full/

b82yA.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/28cv96s4k/full/

DAcD0.jpg