Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

India as "A Theatre of War"

centurion

I've always been led to believe that service in India in WW1 did not qualify a soldier for the Victory Medal but now find that under some circumstances it did. I enclose the details from the relevant order that defines what theatres of war qualified.

"(f) In the frontier regions of India, carried out by Forces which actually took the field:—

(i) In the Tochi Valley, including the whole of the North Waziristan Political Agency, between midnight 27th/28th November, 1914 and midnight 27th/28th March, 1915.

(ii) Near Hafiz Kor within the area bounded on the south by the left bank of the Kabul River and on the east by a line from Adozai to Tangi, both places included, under the command of Major-General C. F. G. Young, between midnight 13th/14th and midnight 19th/20th April, 1915; under the command of Major-General F. Campbell, C.B., D.S.O., between midnight 28th/29th August and midnight 10th/11th October, 1915; at Hafiz Kor on 15th November, 1916; and on the Mohmand Blockade line between midnight 29th/30th September, 1916 and midnight 19th/20th July, 1917.

(iii) Carried out by the troops at Katsang, Rastam and Swati, under the command of Brigadier-General N. C. Woodyatt, between midnight 16th/17th August and midnight 31st August/1st September, 1915.

(iv) On the Landakai Ridge north of a line east and west from, but exclusive of, Malakand (a) under the command of Brigadier-General W. G. L. Beynon, C.B., D.S.O., between midnight 20th/21st August and midnight 31st August/1st September, 1915 and (B) on 27th October, 1915, by the Malakand Moveable Column which advanced from Chakdara Camp.

(v) Carried out by the troops which took part in the operations against the Mahsuds in the North and South Waziristan Political Agencies, the Bannu and Dera Ismail Khan Civil Districts and that portion of the Mainwali district which lies Trans-Indus, between midnight 1st/2nd March and midnight 10/11th August, 1917.

(vi) Carried out by troops which took part in operations against the Marris between midnight 17th/18th February and midnight 8th/9th April, 1918, within the following zone:-

Northern Boundary.—From Mangi inclusive (on BostanHarnai Sibi Railway) along railway inclusive to Harnai inclusive; thence along the road Harnai-Loralai-Mekhtar-Kingri-Rakhni Fort Munro-Dera Chazi Khan inclusive, including all parts along the road, except Loralai and troops moving up and down the road from and to Loralai and Fort Sandeman.

Eastern Boundary. River Indus.

Southern Boundary.—Railway Lines from Kashmor inclusive to Jacobabad inclusive.

Western Boundary.—Jacobabad inclusive along railway line all stations inclusive, via Sibi to Mach inclusive; thence a line drawn across country from Mach station to Mangi station. (The troops moving on ordinary relief along line Jacobabad to Quetta will not be considered as having entered the sphere of operations).

Operations on the eastern frontier (Chin and Kuki Hills, Kachin Hills) also qualified under paras vii and ix.

Not only a victory entitlement, but a man could also get a 1914-15 star for service in india. I don't have the relevant details to hand, but I know I posted a link on here about 6 weeks ago regarding a Royal Sussex Rgt man who was entitled to a 15 star trio which was through service on, I think, the NWF.

I'll post it again tonight if you haven't managed to find it by then.

Not only a victory entitlement, but a man could also get a 1914-15 star for service in india. I don't have the relevant details to hand, but I know I posted a link on here about 6 weeks ago regarding a Royal Sussex Rgt man who was entitled to a 15 star trio which was through service on, I think, the NWF.

I'll post it again tonight if you haven't managed to find it by then.

Service prior to 1916 that qualified for the Victory Medal would qualify for the Star as well.

Service prior to 1916 that qualified for the Victory Medal would qualify for the Star as well.

Yes, of course you are correct. I understood that Centurion was surprised to find that a man serving in india could be entitled to a victory medal, so I was just pointing out that there were theatres within India that also qualified a man for a 14-15 star.

• 1 month later...

Hello

Would be no stars issued for those who first entered any theatre of war(ie Western Front)starting in 1916?

Hello

Would be no stars issued for those who first entered any theatre of war(ie Western Front)starting in 1916?

No - the clues in the name 14-15 star.