Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Ideas

Ian C

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can tell anything about these guys from their uniforms, long shot I know.

I am mostly interested in the chap on the left, who was one John Connell, from Donabate, near Dublin, he was in the 6 Royal Irish Rifles from March 15, and then transferred, I think about 02.01.17, to the MGC. Any ideas what the lanyard on his left shoulder signifies?

Any help appreciated

IanC

post-366-038975100 1284893691.jpg

Well, as they're not wearing black buttons, I'd say not a Rifle regiment (so after transfer to MGC, possibly). Bloke in middle has a gong, but not sure what (MM, possibly, but could be a 1914 Star - as he has two Good Conduct badges, he has a few years in).

The lanyard seems (from lots of other threads) to signify that the wearer has a lanyard; probably holding a clasp knife or something.

Late war picture, possibly (judging by wound stripes, medal ribbon, Good Conduct badges, etc). Nothing I can see obvious to identify unit(s) of the men.

Ian

Hope you don't mind but I lightened it a bit, might show more detail (don't know if it just me, my browser or my laptop but everyone's photos are looking dark lately!) might not help but...

soldiersuni.jpg