Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Dates on CWGC site

Terry

A minor point - I recently obtained a group to a man killed at 2nd Ypres with the 2nd Canadian Battalion. The CWGC site lists his date of death at 27 April,1915. However, the regimental history gives the date as 24 April, which in fact seems more logical considering the fighting the unit was involved in.

Is there any way of confirming the date?

Terry,

His complete service record and 'Cir. of Death' report will confirm this for sure! I have had similar experience with a Somme casualty.

His date of death at CWGC is shown as Sept. 15, 1916. However his service record shows that he was killed (missing) on or since Sept. 15-17, 1916. Due to the severity of the fighting, no one was left at the end of the day to accurately determine for sure when this poor bloke was killed.

I'm sure your man will turn out to be much the same?

Good luck (and nice little group you have there!)

If the situation is as David says in the case above, CWGC will give the date supplied to them by the military. They have no means of knowing if this is the correct date.

If the date is actually unknown, they give the range of applicable dates. In the extreme this can be 04.08.14 - 31.08.21.

First, email CWGC on casualtyenq@cwgc.org and find out if it is a clerical error.

Thanks Ian and Terry; I'm sure things will be cleared up when his file arrives.