Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My grandfather was James Devers

Irish23

I see someone on here seem to know my grandmother Mary Canavan who was married to James J. Devers who was in the connaught rangers mutiny india 1920.

paula

Private James Joseph Devers Badge Number 32328. James apperears in the Parkhurst register on the 11-May-1922, he had been convicted on the 4th of September 1920 at G. C. M. Dagshaj for joining in the Mutiny. The sentence was life in prison but was commuted to 20yrs Penal servitude, James had come from Maidstone C. Prison and was released on the 6th January 1923 to Ballina Ireland, by a coincidence we also have the Maidstone Goal register because at a later date it appears to have been used by a prison on the Isle of Wight all this confirms is that the prisoners came to Maidstone Goal from Portland prison on the 15th -May- 1921 and was transferred to Parkhurst on the 10th -May-1922. A large number of the mutineers who were still in Goal in Maidstone, in 1923 had their senences remitted on the 4th -January. Home office order H.O.O. 17236/355B ..

paula