Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newfoundland & the Great War.

chris.wight

If anyone is interested in doing research on Newfoundland's contribution to the First World War, here are several websites worth looking at.

Newfoundland's Grand Banks Geneology Website - Military Records link has an on-line version of the Regimental history - "The First Five Hundred - A History of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment" which is complete with numerous photos. It also has a long section of military records with photos of men who served in the unit. There are Nominal and Honour Rolls for men of the RNR, and the Newfoundland Forestry Corps. Elsewhere they have a section on war graves again with photos. The battle of Beaumont-Hamel is covered with a Memorial tour with accompanying photos, as well as several nominal rolls. Serjeant Thomas Ricketts, VC, has a section devoted to him.

The Newfoundland Great War Heritage Project link has a searchable nominal roll for both the RNR, and the Newfoundland Forestry Corps as well as a list of prisoners of war captured (from the RNR) 1916-1918.

In my opinion, the most interesting of the three sites is "Newfoundland & the Great War", link . This site has a variety of images, audio clips, video clips, and articles about Newfoundland's war effort. The video clips show the RNR training in St. John's and in the UK, plus individuals posing for the camera. Audio clips come from the RNR band, plus a song from the group Tickle Harbour, "The Valley of Kilbride" relating the story of Beaumont-Hamel. There is one audio clip of an interview with a veteran of the RNR. Articles range from "Commemorations Overseas" to details of the Royal Naval Reserve and Forestry Corps. The image section is outstanding with many photos enlargeable to full screen. Within the Newfoundland Regiment section there is a searchable portrait index which is well done.

Thanks for that Chris; was able to find out some things about the grandfather of a friend.

It's great to have so much available online now.

Peter in Vancouver

Guest dinkidi

G'day Chris

Thanks, saved me a paper chase. I was trying to "prove" they went to Gallipoli.

My friend couldn't accept that the Bosses would send troops from such a cold place off to such a hot place.

ooRoo

Pat

A great book in inexpensive paperback Memoirs of a Blue Puttee, has the wonderful picture of John Shiwak, an Inuit man from Labrador, in a kilt. He was killed. I have had some contact with a relative Jason, still in Rigolet, NFL, have his email if someone needs it.

• 1 year later...

Here is a related CEF Study Group website ... Borden Battery

Royal Newfoundland Regiment & The Newfoundland Forestry Corps - World War 1

An impressive and detailed website regarding the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, the regimental history [The First Five Hundred - A History of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment], nominal rolls, war graves, and general information. Site maintained by Daniel Breen.

http://ngb.chebucto.org/NFREG/index1.shtml