Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MGC badge help please!

ljbrain

post-58785-002005600 1284561544.jpgMy great-grandfather was SGT. Arthur Ernest Castle, no. 10892 who served with the Machine Gun Corps in the Royal West Kent Regiment. My Great Uncle has given me a picture of his wartime effects, which include (shoulder?) badges which state 'MGC' then directly underneath 'I' I would like to know what this 'I' means. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

I think 'I' for 'Infantry' as opposed to 'C' for 'Cavalry'

Welcome to the Forum.

QUOTE: "with the Machine Gun Corps in the Royal West Kent Regiment"

To be pernickerty, I think this should read "AND" as he will probably have been posted to the MGC after serving with the RWK. Either way, he cannot have been in both at the same time.

A very nice gift you have received

D

(Corps of Pedants)

Just a small matter of detail, without the intention of being 'picky' but he would not have served "with the Machine Gun Corps in the Royal West Kent Regiment". The machine gun sections of regiments were transferred to the MGC on its creation, and therefore he served with that regiment. But as a qualification, many men retained fierce loyalty to their old regiments, even to the extent of wearing, when they could get away with it, their old regiment's cap badge instead of the crossed guns of the MGC.

I think 'I' for 'Infantry' as opposed to 'C' for 'Cavalry'

Or the H of the "Heavies", or technically the M of the "Motor" Machine Gun Corp (albeit on the cap badge). But definitely I for "Infantry", and not the numeral 1 as people sometimes see it.

• 13 years later...

Good evening

I have just stumbles upon this post and would like to ask a question if I may, As a member of MGC that was attached to an infantry battalion, would they have worn the recognition flash of the attached battalion? or would they have worn their own recognition flash?

I ask as I am a member of the Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment Living History group and serve as their Vickers Machine gunner, and I want to portray the period as accurately as possible

Many thanks and I look forward to your replies

Thanks 

Wayne

The Machine Gun Corps was formed in October 1915. Soldiers transferred to the MGC from Battalion machine gun sections would have worn the patch of their MGC company or MGC battalion. 

The MGC companies were initially numbered directly in accordance with the numbered infantry brigade that they supported, but in 1918 the MGC was reorganised into battalions by merging the brigade companies, at which point the new MGC Battalions took on the numbered designation of the division they were in.

The dark green cloth cross on the arm of the jacket below relates to the 215th Coy MGC supporting 215th Infantry Brigade of the 58th (2/1st London) Division.

IMG_0993.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, 1RWK said:

Thanks Guys

“Guys”?  Pals, chaps and chapesses in this forum! 😉👍

8 minutes ago, 1RWK said:

Thank you humans

Guy was a stuffed effigy I recall getting a shiny penny for in advance of November 5th, it was usually wearing some of my dad’s old clothes. 😂

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Guy was a stuffed effigy I recall getting a shiny penny for in advance of November 5th, it was usually wearing some of my dad’s old clothes.

Something you never see these days:(

Just now, Allan1892 said:

Something you never see these days:(

So much culture has been Americanised.

3 hours ago, max7474 said:

Tounge-in-cheek but apparently burning effigies of Catholics is no longer considered popular amongst the younger and easily offended generation!

Snowflakes.  

On 01/12/2023 at 05:54, FROGSMILE said:

So much culture has been Americanised.

Speaking as an American, I can say there's few things more American than setting stuff on fire! Don't blame us for this one! :lol:

7 hours ago, JOVE23 said:

Speaking as an American, I can say there's few things more American than setting stuff on fire! Don't blame us for this one! :lol:

I do blame you for ‘trick or treat’ :devilgrin:

Just now, JOVE23 said:

That's a fair cop.

Yes, daylight robbery in fact… :angry: