Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13/DLI Battle Insignia

P.B.

The related thread on 50th Division insignia prompted me to ask this question. My Great-grandad served in 13/DLI during WWI, and I wondered what battle insignia this unit wore on it's tunics. All I have so far is the information in Osprey's "British Battle Insignia 1914-18" which states that in the senior brigade in the 23rd Division each battalion wore a patch featuring a circle. I assume 13/DLI wore a patch similar to that worn by 12/DLI, which featured a rectangle with a circle placed centrally over a horizontal stripe.

Any help, suggestions or -hope against hope- photos of the patch in wear or -even less likely- surviving examples, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, all the best

Paul.

Paul

The 13/DLI = wore a felt diamond,which was halved vertically, coloured red on the left and green on the right.

Although I have no idea of the actual size! The illustration that I have measures 3cms height x 2cms width.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur

Many thanks for the reply. Was this patch worn on the top of the sleeves as well as on the back of the tunic?

All the best

Paul.

Paul

The 13th DLI Battalion insignia was a 1 1/2" red & green square, diagonally bisected with the red half upermost and to the right. This was worn by all ranks at the top of both sleeves. When the battalion went to Italy these badges were also worn on both sides of the pagri of the sun helmet. The same badge was worn on the steel helmet from May 1917, there is an IWM photo of this (Negative no. Q5980) taken at Zillebeke on 20/9/1917. When the battalion moved to the 25th Division in September 1918 it would have also worn the 25th Division red horseshoe sign on the back of tunics and a small blue rectangle on the back of the collar as part of 74th Brigade.

Hope this helps

Mike

Arthur and Mike

Many thanks to you both, exactly what I was after....I'll try to obtain a copy of the photograph you mention from the IWM.

Very best regards

Paul.

Just out of interest, does anyone know what the 2/4th Royal West Kents would have worn? Is there a good online source of such data?

Nick

Nick

The only information I have regarding 2nd/4th Bn, R. W. Kent Regt. is that they wore a felt Black and French-grey rectangle. It was vertically halved, the size was 3" width X 4" height and was worn on the helmet.

Arthur