Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scottish Co-Op Roll of Honour

ianmccallum

Hi Guys

Recently picked up the Scottish Co-Operative Wholesale Society Roll of Honour. It covers the war service of every employee (2000 plus) who served during the Great War. The info included names, rank, regiment or branch and in the remarks, killed, wounded, invalided, gassed, POW, awards etc. The names are listed under the Co-Op department in which they were employed. There are also photos of the 315 employees who were killed or died. If anyone is interested I am happy to have a look.

Ian

Hi Ian

A long shot but my Grandfather and namesake John Duncan, had just served his apprenticeship as a baker with the Co-operative before enlisting,he went back to them for a while after the war before setting up his own business, can you oblige and have a look please.

Thanks - John

Hi John

No problem do you know where he worked. It will save me trawling through all two thousand names.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for that it would be either Gorebridge or Newtongrange Co-op, maybe Musselburgh and Fisherrow at a push

Cheers

Ian,

I'd be very interested to know if any men are listed for the town of Hawick?

Hi Guys

Sorry John no joy on your enquiry. The closest place to Hawick is Ettrick Mills.

Ian

Thanks for looking Ian

John

Ian,

I would like to take advantage of your generous offer. Can you see if there is any mention of Co-op workers from the following communities in West Lothian:- Livingston{e} Village, Livingston{e} Station, Deans, Blackburn, Seafield and Dechmont.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Delta

Found the following: Leith Branch, William Forsyth. R.Q.M.S. 13th Tank Corps: Chancelot Mills. William Robertson Pte. Scottish Rifles att Tank Corps: West Barns Drapery Dept. David Eglington, Pte. 15th Tank Corps. Killed : Fred Thompson. Gunner. Tank Corps: Cabinet Factory. John Rowe. Pte. 16th Light Batt. Tank Corps. Wounded : Carting Dept Glasgow. Thomas Watt. Gunner. 1st Tank Brigade. Sorry no regimental numbers. The Cabinet Factory comes after the Furnishings Department Edinburgh so i assume thats where it was. Surprisingly few Tankies considering the number of entries.

Ian

Hi Alf

I just got hold of the book. I am not too sure how they've set it out. I don't think it covers all the small Co-Op shops or they are rolled into the closest large area office or department. The main headings are Head Office, Leith Branch, Kilmarnock Branch, Etterick Mills, Enniskilling Branch, Regent Mills, Chancelot Mills, Junction Mills, Bladnock and Whithorn Creameries, Soap Works, Drapery Department, Sausage Factory, Taybank Works, Boot Factory Shieldhall, Boot Warehouse Glasgow,Furnishings Department Glasgow, Furnishing Department Edinburgh, Cabinet Factory, Brush Factory, Printing Department Edinburgh, Building Department Glasgow, Building Department Leith, Carting Glasgow, Carting Department Leith. Plus lots of smaller sundrey organisations, but few locations named.

Ian

Alf,Ian,

In my youth,during the late 50's and 60's,in Aberdeen,the Co-op was important,e.g. I remember my Mum's Divvie Number,8950. :)

I have no personal interest,in the Scottish WW1 Co-op but does the Book you have access to,only cover the Central Belt,of the Country?

George

Hello Alf

Yes pretty much. Fish Curing, Aberdeen with four names, Dundee branch with three names, not sure where Bladnoch and Whithorn are but its got twenty odd names. That's about it I am afraid. I was aware of the Co-op of course, but I think it had passed its peak when I started to take notice. Not too sure if it's the Co-Op were all thinking of, which I thought was a national organisation. The Roll of Honour's full title is The Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society Limited.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Many thanks for looking. I remember the Co-op and the divvie books, I had the job of sticking the stamps in the books! I also remember, in the early 60's seeing a delivery van or mobile shop with the letters D.E.C.S. on the side. This was tha Dundee Eastern Co-operative Society. The S.C.W.S. also had shops at the time, so it seems there were Co-ops at national and local level. One local Co-op, in West Calder in 1902, actually paid a dividend of 4 shillings in the Pound {20 pence in today's money}.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Ian

A list of Funeral Service Personel who died and served would be appreciated. If to time consuming no problem .

Dan

Hi Dan

Sorry its taken some time to get back to you. As you can see from the previous posts I am not too sure what this Co-Op memorial covers. There is no Funeral Department listed. It seems to be covering the factories and mills which produced the goods to sell in their shops as opposed to the entire organisation.

Ian

Hi Ian

Looking back over a previous post I noticed Chancelot Mills, my Grandad used to buy his flour from Chancelot Mills in Leith (next to where Ocean Terminal stands now)I would be interested in any lads from Leith Chancelot Mills.

Thanks - John

Hello John

There are 64 names under Chancelot Mills, 10 were killed, 1 DCM and 1 POW. Are you after anything specific. There are also a further 81 men listed as Leith Branch.

Ian

Hi Ian

I didn't realise the Mill would have that many names, it was basically to see if my Dad recognise any of the names as he used to go there as a kid with my Grandad, however 64 is too many to bring across I fear and I don't want to impose excessively on your time. Thanks for your reply.

John

The origins of the Cooperative movement are fromToad lane in Rochdale in 1844. The idea soon caught on, and local and regional cooperatives appeared all over the country. Many amalgamated, and then amalgamated again. About a decade ago, the United Cooperative joined the national Cooperative Wholesale Services to form what we now know as the Coop. Since then, the organisation has expanded further, purchasing the Somerfield chain of supermarkets, a number of independent funeral directors (some of which have been re-badged, but many left as they were) and most recently buying the Britannia Building Society. The latter will eventually be re-badged, once the two sets of computer systems will talk to each other. As a result, Stoke City may find themselves playing at the Coop Stadium!

The divident dates back to the earliest days, and at various times could be obtained by using stamps, or by registering your divi number of magnificent calculating machines installed over the top of tills. Nowadays, it is still free to join the Coop by filling in a form obtainable in any branch of Coop Food, Coop Travel, Coop Funeral Services and Coop Pharmacy. Divis are paid six monthly and rounded down to full pounds. The extra few pence go into a central pot, and are then allotted to regional committees to pass on to good causes which apply. I can't speak for other areas, but I sit on the Mersyside Area Committee and get to distribute about £50,000 a year to worthy clauses.

Hope this helps!

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Ian,

Can you please give the details of the 3 Dundee lads you mentioned? If by chance there's any listed for Arbroath, that'd be great too.

Cheers,

Derek.

Hi Derek

The details for the Dundee men are; Lieut. George Connelly, R.F.A. Wounded. Gnr. Robert Mundie, R,F. A. Killed. Sgt. James Wilkie R.A.S.C. No listing for Arbroath.

Ian