Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika - 10th Hants - 1918

beardwebster

Hello

My grandad was shot on the 02/09/1918 and l was hoping somebody could tell me or point me in the right direction to find any information on what the 10th Hants was up to between 01/03/1918 and the day he was shot. Also if there is any war diaries that cover this period. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

Alan

Hello Alan,

THIS LINK will take you directly to the page of the National Archives website where you can access the war diaries of the 10th Hampshires, across the dates you seek.

You can order printed or digital copies online, or sections thereof. Just follow the 'Ordering and Viewing Options' instructions within the page my link takes you to.

Cheers,

Thank you for the information really appreciate it. He was Private Albert Ernest Bleach 9424. l have quite a bit of info on him but any more would really help piece it all together.

Alan

Hi Peter

I have his medal details and a brief history of his service. Also have some postcards sent home so its a case of putting it all together and trying to fill in as much as l can. If you think you could help with anything please let me know. l took my time to read the forum for a while before l posted to pick up some ideas as l am new to this, so have looked at ancestry etc.

Anyway thanks for your help already.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

I see from your previous posts that much of your granddad's service history has already been covered here on the forum. May I ask whether or not you are only seeking to piece together his time in the forces, or general family history info about him as well?

Peter

Just trying to piece together his military service have most of his family history, But like most old soldiers never really talked about it and as my mum is the last link l want to find out as much as possible.

Thanks Alan

Understood, Alan.

I am currently in the process of doing a similar thing about my own Grandfather. I am putting a website together solely about his time in the Royal Navy, which pre and post dates WWI.

Like you, I have much in relation to the general family history info connected with him, but I feel his service in the RN warrents special attention. I thought a website might be one of the ways I could:

i) amass everything about his time in the navy together in one place

ii) make it available for my children when they are older, and hopefully for future generations of our family too.

All credit to you for taking on what is certainly a very worthwhile endeavour.

Cheers mate,

10th Hampshires were part of 82nd Brigade, 27th Division, XVI Corps and had spent time on the Struma, taking part in the capture of the villages of Homondos and Osman and Hristian Kamila in October 1917. I can't find anything specific for them in my books until 1st September, 1918, when they took part in the assault on the Roche Noir Salient, the beginning of the end of the War in this area The battle for possession of the ground lasted until 2nd September. There was a lull before the next phase, on 18th, but no doubt the enemy continued to shell and snipe at the British positions in the meantime as they consolidated.

The Hampshires suffered most of the 298 casualties in the attack on the salient and the Official History records: "The courage and endurance of the Gloucestershire and Hampshire had been beyond all praise."

Keith

Keith

Thank you for the information

Alan